hf1

Talk to me about menstrual sponges/mooncup?

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Talk to me about menstrual sponges/mooncup?

Postby emsy » Sat May 12, 2012 4:29 am

after my pp bleeding has stopped and my af returns i am thinking of trying a sea sponge or mooncup
i dont really like the idea of the mooncup as it looks uncomfortable and im swaying towards a sponge.
have any of you lovely ladies tried these?
which do you prefer and why ?
whats th pros and cons?
:widesmile: sorry for all the questions :hug:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Talk to me about menstrual sponges/mooncup?

Postby beck » Sat May 12, 2012 4:58 am

I'll be interested in the replies as well. I always wondered how the sponge worked and if it was effective.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat May 12, 2012 9:03 am

I haven't used a sponge I thought about out but it kind of grosses me out. Not sure why!

K I've used a cup for a year and a half or so. I started using a mooncup but found I got leaks and I felt that it was just too big and rigid. Anyway I changed to a diva cup, it s smaller and so much sifter and since then I've had no problems at all. I love it!

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Sat May 12, 2012 1:10 pm

I tried the Diva cup for a few months, but didn't like it all all. Most of the time I could get it to work alright, but I just didn't like having to shove it up there. Maybe other women find it quite easy and comfortable to do, but I certainly didn't. And I didn't really like the sensation when you pull it out either, and then having to deal with the blood. I then switched to cloth pads, which work much better for me (even though I only got to try them for a couple of months or so before I unexpectedly got pregnant again, but I look forward to using them again).

I've never tried the sponge.

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:12 pm

I have just (today!) started using a mooncup & it feels fine, I had to cut most of the stem off to get it comfy. I have a mirena IUD so my flow isn't very heavy, so I won't be able to feedback how good it is for heavy flow. So far so good! I'm using it with fairy hammocks from wee notions in case of any leaks

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Fri May 18, 2012 3:00 pm

I have a mooncup and I love it. I have cut the stem off completely. I have quite a low down cervix, so needed it to be as short as possible. It took 1 af to get used to it. I hated it the first af as just couldnt get it comfy and it irritated me, but I tried it again and im glad I did.
I have a very heavy flow at the start of af. the first day or 2 i have to change my cup once every 1-2 hours during the day as its full. i rarely get leaks, but when I do its usually my fault in that I havent emptied it soon enough. I find that when I can start to feel my cup it means its time to empty. It seems to slip down slightly (might just be my lax vag :hohoho: ) with the weight of the cup. I use it overnight with no problems at all and no leaks.

My avatar
Heather London
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Heather London » Sat May 19, 2012 7:52 am

For me the sponges are easier to start using - but the menstrual cups are less work long term IYSWIM.

There is almost no technique with the sponges. They are super easy to start using. But the rinsing out after use needs a bit of effort.

Whereas the cups can be easy to start using but they can also take a good while to get the hang of - depending on a number of factors. But once you are used to using them it is less work to rinse them out and look after them than the sponges.

I dont like stems on cups so I use a Meluna with ball base -I need something to get a hold of so I find it ideal but comfier for me than a stem.

By the way the sponges are very absorbent and I found them fine overnight . I think they work very well.

But Im tending now to use the cup due to the less faff overall factor.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat May 19, 2012 10:52 am

I've used a Mooncup for years and had no problems, but fancied a change and now use a Meluna. I find the Meluna preferable, it's softer so easier to insert and remove. I don't think they take any more getting used to than tampons.

I can't get my head around sponges - don't fancy a previously living animal up there thankyouverymuch :giggle:

My avatar
mammymade
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mammymade » Sat May 19, 2012 11:05 am

I've always fancied using the sponge but I've never tried it. I use cloth pads at the minute and disposable when I'm going out as they are much thinner but I would like to try the sponge. Not sure where I'd start trying to find one though?

I've never really liked the sound of the mooncup. I've seen quite a lot of people have good experiences with them, I just don't think I like the idea of it for some reason.

Next

Return to Mums Things