hf1

Pricing of washable san pro and cheap places to buy?

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Pricing of washable san pro and cheap places to buy?

Postby JennyPenny » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:48 pm

Hello. I have decided to get some washable pads. I have a couple of them already, which I plan to try out tomorrow (currently on postnatal bleed but has slowed down quicker than I thought it would).

I was just wondering what the average price is for san pro and what would be the cheapest place to buy? I have spent soo much on nappies and DH on paternity leave etc we don't really have much money to spare, but I know it is a good investment in the long run.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Pricing of washable san pro and cheap places to buy?

Postby Frances » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:08 pm

Basic pads usually start at about £4.50/£5 - WeeNotions is pretty cheap and usually has a buy 5 get 1 free offer on. I've got most of mine from HyenaCart as, even with the current exchange rate, it's worked out a lot cheaper - I recently got 10 (including 6 thick ones) for about £27 inc. delivery. Luxury Moon has some gorgeous hand-dyed bamboo velour Jimmy Riddle ones in at the moment but most have sold out! With the current 15% discount you can get a pack of 3 plus some extras for £10.50 from Upsy Daisy if I remember rightly. Go for it, you won't regret it! I can highly recommend WeeNotions' fairy cosy carry bag too.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I'd go for minkee or similar; I find that flannel and cotton start to discolour very quickly.

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Mon May 04, 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks. I have ordered some from UD as I was ordering from them anyway. Still need more at some stage though. How many do you think I will need? I will be washing every day but don't want to tumble dry. Whats Hyena cart?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon May 04, 2009 3:14 pm

I have about 12 at the moment, and use about 4 a day, although I do tumble sometimes :oops: Maybe see how you get on but I'd probably suggest 12-16 as they can take a while to dry. Hyenacart is a fabulous US site which sells hand-crafted stuff from lots of different sellers; you can get lovely nappies on there too as well as lots of other things: http://hyenacart.com/

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Tue May 05, 2009 12:26 am

Wow that website is a bit over welming! Lol. Guess it is something you have to get used to. How do you work out how much it would cost in £?

And what is "stalking" about? Sorry I know I am going off topic but it has :-? me. Some website say stuff like you can order with no stalking?!

I MUST NOT SPEND ANYMORE MONEY ON CLOTH ANYTHING! Lol.

Back on topic, don't suppose you know how long you can expect cloth san pro to last before it needs replacing? I don't mean how many hours can it be worn for, I mean like how often would you need to buy more as I am guessing they are not going to last me till I stop having periods?! (I am only 22!)

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue May 05, 2009 6:15 am

JennyPenny wrote:Wow that website is a bit over welming! Lol. Guess it is something you have to get used to. How do you work out how much it would cost in £?

And what is "stalking" about? Sorry I know I am going off topic but it has :-? me. Some website say stuff like you can order with no stalking?!

I MUST NOT SPEND ANYMORE MONEY ON CLOTH ANYTHING! Lol.

Back on topic, don't suppose you know how long you can expect cloth san pro to last before it needs replacing? I don't mean how many hours can it be worn for, I mean like how often would you need to buy more as I am guessing they are not going to last me till I stop having periods?! (I am only 22!)

For currency conversions, see www.xe.com

No stalking usually means they have stuff in stock so you don't have to stalk them waiting for new stock!

How long they last depends on the quality of the pad; I've heard 10 years as a way of calculating your savings.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu May 14, 2009 9:50 am

Hi Jenny,

I was just talking about my washable pads today with Mr CM and I was saying how surprised I am that they are still doing so well. I got mine pretty much 3 years ago, possibly 2.5 for some and other than some discolouration they are still in really good knick and I imagine will at least do another 2 years. I think 10 years would be pushing the boat out a bit though to be honest :shock: :giggle:

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat May 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Have you got your pads yet? :D If so, what do you think?

I don't think they would last 10 years really, although my minkee ones do look much better than the cotton ones, after about a year of use. Very few items that would be worn and washed as much as sanpro would survive 10 years anyway!

I have about 30 pads and thats more than enough for one period, but now i use a mooncup and only really use the pads at night, or as extra protection, or as panty-liners. 6 are night-time pads, 6 are panty-liner pads and the rest are mediums.

A mooncup is probably more cost-effective than washable pads as its unlikely to need to be replaced unless you lose it! :D

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Sat May 16, 2009 4:55 pm

I haven't got my UD ones yet! I don't know when I will get a chance to use anyway TBH - my postnatal bleed is stopping and depends when AF returns - came back straight away last time so might not be long!

Return to Mums Things