hf1

Breastfeeding tops?

My avatar
clothpenguin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Breastfeeding tops?

Postby clothpenguin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:42 pm

Can anyone who breastfed (for any amount of time) tell me if they bought any breastfeeding tops and also did they buy any in advance? I am worried about the prospect of getting both boobs out at the same time, but needs must! I can't see how you could breastfeed discreatly in ordinary clothes. I would dearly love to breastfeed and I am trying to be organised in advance. The reason I ask now is that I am outgrowing my maternity tops (bump is getting too big) and I thought I would look at bf tops, can anyone recommend anything? Equally how on earth do you start breastfeeding unless you have a breastfeeding bra? I have maternity bra's which require extenders as my breasts are much the same size but my ribcage is in another time zone, I would have to be a bra free zone to feed but there is no way I could buy a bf bra now without knowing what will happen to my ribcage/breasts .Am confused! :?

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:57 pm

I liked this sort of top as I found it the most discreet *http://www.bloomingmarvellous.co.uk/product.aspx?CategoryID=bf-tops&ProductID=12192&language=en-GB

In terms of bras, they recommend you get measured for a nursing bra a few weeks before you are due. If you get it done properly they can advise on sizing to account for increased boob size due to milk and decreased size of body once you have given birth. Also remember when you are trying them that you may want to be able to fit breast pads in too so need to ensure they will accommodate them.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:25 pm

I got H&M breastfeeding tops. I don't know if they have changed the style of them, but I'd take a good look at the practicle side before going that direction again. They had these sections so you could slip a boob out between the fabric, but I found them akward as you could only get so much boob out.
As for the bra, I found the lady at mothercare very helpful. I got fitted about 2 weeks before Kayleigh was due.

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:29 pm

I had one breatfeeding top that I got from H&M and I really didn't get on with it and even though I bought a large one it was still tight over my recently pregnant belly. I didn't find it anymore descret than a normal top. I just hike up whatever I'm wearing. I can't imagine what bfing twins will be like though. :?

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:00 pm

I didn't get any bf tops until dd4 was about a year old, back when dd1 was small the designs weren't as good as they are now. Really with twins I think I would be expecting to do pretty much what they do, ie feeding and sleeping, lol, and easy access while you get things sorted would be the way to go, topless and towels basically. When you get to the point of actually venturing out you'll probably have a better idea what works for you and what doesn't, and also whether they want feeding together or separately. mumtops.co.uk has some nice stuff when you do decide what kind of thing you need.

My avatar
clothpenguin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clothpenguin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:50 pm

Thanks ladies, I will not worry too much untill they are born but will get myself to mothercare at a later date to get measured, probably just before they take the stitch out becuase I can't see them hanging about after that!

CP + Beans

Ps Mumstops has some nice looking things, also she has already packed up and posted a belly belt I bought today, thought that was good service.

:) Thank you, I am thinking as positively as possible about breastfeeding them both.

pps Annette I can't get your link up, what does it look like so I can see which one it is on thne blooming marvelous site?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:00 pm

As an alternative to BF tops you might want to consider the following (which worked very well for myself and my friends)

A) A loose-ish vest top (e.g. primark pjs vest) under a top, pull the vest down and the top up.

B) Blooming Marvellous do breastfeeding camisoles which again work well under a top, they unhook like a nursing bra...

I didn't get measured for a nursing bra until weeks after Isabelle was born, just used sleep-bras as they were so stretchy and acommodated my swelling and deflating boobs!

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:47 pm

Steph's suggestion of a loose vest top under a normal top is good for hiding post baby flabby tum :D

I did have nursing tops, I loved the h&m ones, they fit well and weren't baggy like alot of others.

Have you had a look at the bravado or carriwell nursing bras, they are kind of multi sized, I found them fab in the early weeks for when my boobs were changing in size so much.

Return to Mums Things