hf1

Anyone make their own? Updated...advice pls!!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Anyone make their own? Updated...advice pls!!

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:10 pm

is it possible without a sewing machine? im thinking no :( but i would really like to build a stash and I just cant afford to shell out alot :( I have been looking on luxury moon and places and i simply cannot afford 7-10 pounds on one pad...is it really cheaper to make your own? :oops:

I did make a big order with Emma at puddlekins but took the opertunity to cancel when the opening of her shop was delayed as Kieren needed bigger nappies :oops: :-?
Last edited by megansmummy on Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Anyone make their own?

Postby Frances » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:19 pm

I make my own, but I have a sewing machine and overlocker....it is cheaper if you're making lots, but probably not for just a few.

Bibs 'n bots have got lots of cheap minkee and bv pads at the moment starting at about £2.80 (or they had last week; 10% off)

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:27 pm

I've just made some liners out of flannel. Those were done by hand, but I then turned and topstitched on the machine. But if you're neater with hand stitching and have more time,they'd be do-able. They wouldn't last as good as machine stitched ones maybe?
(The leaflet I got for Netto today are advertising an 8stitch machine for #20... won't be a great machine by any stretch of the imagination, but my machine was from Netto. #50 over 5 years ago. It's temprimental but it works)

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:31 pm

I am not sure if hand sewn CSP will stand up to the rigours of a 60 degree wash. I am going to make my own despite the fact that iv`e never seen or used CSP before, AF returned last month and with what i know now, san pads just didnt cut it.
The reason that i`m going to make my own is that i`m making bv ss nappies and so have snap pliers and plenty of bv offcuts but if i didnt have these, it may be an expensive trial.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:29 am

ehhehee.. well I think it would work.. you could blanket stitch them, that would give a neater edge keep the edges nice and rounded, blanket stitch loves rounded edges, just as much as it likes straight lines. I dont see why it wouldn't work :)

You can always use velcro and cut round circles out of it.. and blanket stich them on etc.. or metal snaps from the craft shop as they come with thier own hammering device to attach them too :)

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Well, I got some holiday money through from my old job that they owed me and so hubby gave me some to spend espeically on CSP, I told him I wanted a starter stash and so he agreed :wink:

I now have on order /already...
6 WN Panty liners,
6 WN minkee topped xl fairies,
3 GWTF,
2 JR,
1 wool backed tester pad
2 Homestead emporium II (thought i could use these for nights?)

So thats 12 pads, 6 paty liners and 2 night ones...Im planning another night one to make 3 ASAP...

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:30 pm

tracedw wrote:I am not sure if hand sewn CSP will stand up to the rigours of a 60 degree wash. I am going to make my own despite the fact that iv`e never seen or used CSP before, AF returned last month and with what i know now, san pads just didnt cut it.
The reason that i`m going to make my own is that i`m making bv ss nappies and so have snap pliers and plenty of bv offcuts but if i didnt have these, it may be an expensive trial.

I've handsewn wipes and by and large they've lasted through the nappy washes. The ones that didn't last I didn't hem the cut edge before sewing the layers together so the flannel frayed. I blanket stitched some with embroidery thread and those did last better than the ones I stitched with cheapo sewing thread I was trying to use up. CSP tend to get washed alot less than nappies so should last longer I guess.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Anyone make their own? Updated...advice pls!!

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:16 am

Its much cheaper if you already have most of the things you need to hand... Im lucky enough to own a (tempermental) sewing machine, and had nappy fabrics like hemp, BV, bamboo terry, flannel and PUL that needed to be used anyway (my nappy making skills are pitiful!) and treated myself to a snap press.

Is there anyone you know who could lend you a sewing machine? You never know there might be one gathering dust in someones spare room! However, its amazingly time-consuming to make a couple of pads on a sewing machine if like me, you have limited skills in the area; many times I have thought it would be much faster for me to sew by hand!!

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Anyone make their own? Updated...advice pls!!

Postby Woozle35 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:31 am

Tory if you do want a machine advertise on freecycle. :wink:

Return to Mums Things