hf1

Beginner Q's

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Beginner Q's

Postby MissFrodo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:36 pm

I guess it might be a good idea to use mummy fluff too after nappies being a good choice ;)

But:
How does it work? They come in different sizes like dispos?
And when they are dirty what do you do? How do you get the blood out?
With nappies I always do a rinse circle in the washer with cold water and wash them on 60 after that, is that the same with this things?
And how do you know what's the right choice for you, do you have to try them all?
Please can anyone help me to clear this up? :wink:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Beginner Q's

Postby megansmummy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Esther, im still very much new to CSP... Look at this table...
http://luxurymoon.co.uk/index.php?main_ ... ex&cPath=3

It shows alot of pads and their lengths...I measured one of my prefered disp pads to see what length i liked and then looked up on the chart there :) Gave me an idea of what i was looking at...

As far as i know, when they are dirty you rinse them under the tap in the bathroom and then chuck them in with the nappy wash :wink:
I do a cold rinse and then a 60c wash too and thats been fine on the ones that I have been trying so far...

yes like with nappies its trial and error, I have just ordered some OBV topped and am about to order some minkee topped ones to try...I dont like cotton outter nappies so have avoided cotton topped and i dont like lycra either so have avoided those...

Good luck!

My avatar
clothpixie
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clothpixie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:40 pm

I too am about to start out with csp, have been reading this
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=35513 :wink:

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Kelly I already found that one but thanks!

Tory will check the site you mentioned thanks and good luck trying ;)

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:54 pm

A cold rinse first is best. If I'm particularly heavy I soak them in salt solution as salt removes blood stains. Putting them straight into a hot wash can cook blood proteins / stains in as hot water will make blood stains set so don't run them under hot water at first either. Usually I just rinse under the cold tap and put in the nappy bucket to wash later at 60C.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:36 am

The are lots of different pads to choose from, it can easily confusing! But just like nappies, mostly its just a matter of personal choice, and sometimes, cost!

I find bamboo velour topped pads and jersey/knit topped pads to be the most comfy. Minkee and fleece is also comfy, and sort of like a "stay dry" barrier, but I find they can feel a bit sweaty and they aren't a natural fabric to have against the skin, if thats important to you. There's also plain cotton, flannel, lycra etc, which can be cheaper but are more prone to staining or signs of wear and tear (although many women disagree!)

Inner fabrics vary, but are usually one or two layers of absorbent fabric like bamboo, hemp or cotton. Like sposies, they can be with or without wings (I prefer with wings) and can be backed with PUL, wool or fleece.

You certainly dont have to try them all (unless of course you have the budget to do so, go for it! :wink: ) but choose some you think you'll like. around 6 pads is a good number to start with, although you'll probably need at least twice that to keep you going for a whole "flow" and be able to get them washed and dried in time. I got on well with about 8 med pads, 6 liners, 4 heavy pads and 4 night pads, which meant I usually didnt have to wash any during my flow. Then i got a mooncup and most of my pads were very lonely :giggle:

My avatar
ChristinePlush
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ChristinePlush » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:08 pm

I reckon my sanpro stash is way beyond reasonable now, I like to try everything before I stock it, so I now have a Mooncup, some menstrual sponges, and a silly size collection of pads by Wemoon, Angel Padz, Ella's House Minx pads, Honour your Flow and Imse Vimse! Could use some new panty liners though, my Wemoon ones have seen better days (about 5/6 years old now so not bad going), deciding what to use next, perhaps I will try out another new brand!

Just as well I've got 4 daughters, in another few years they can help out with the product testing lol!

Christine
x

Return to Mums Things