hf1

Breast pads advice (especially ME and WN)

My avatar
Fliblet
Clothie
Clothie

Breast pads advice (especially ME and WN)

Postby Fliblet » Wed May 26, 2010 10:24 am

Hi all

Am about to become a Mum for the first time, so have no breast pad experience whatsoever! I'm very keen to avoid using disposables if at all possible, but keep hearing horror stories about leaking and washable breastpads just not being able to cope with milk flow in the early days of breastfeeding.

I have been thinking about a few different pads and may well get a pair of Lilypadz to try out, but would also like some washable fabric ones.

I quite like the look of the ME ones because they're shaped rather than just flat - does anyone have any experience of using them? Any good? Would you recommend the cotton ones or the bamboo ones more?

I have also been looking at the WN breast pads, but as usual, their array of choices is both wonderful and terrifying at the same time! :-? I don't know whether 2 layers is enough or whether I'll need 3 layers for the early days? Do 3 layers make them bulky and visible under clothes? Which fabric is best to go for? How do I know if I need 10cm or 12cm diameter? So many questions!!! If anyone's got any experience of using them, please let me know what you think :)

Thank you! :mrgreen:

Corinne

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Breast pads advice (especially ME and WN)

Postby tiyuricc » Wed May 26, 2010 12:09 pm

Firstly, congratulations on the pregnancy!

For breastpads, I think it's so different from woman to woman and from pregnancy to pregnancy.

For ds I used a mix of disposables (tommee tippee being best, some other brands leaked) and advent breast pads and never had any problems with either. Once I changed to the advent ones I never looked back, they were so easy, and no more crunching packets in the middle of the night when changing them.

This time though, I was wearing 3x advent ones at once and still having leaks through within minutes of having them on. Thankfully now that's all started to die down a bit so am able to have days that I don't wear any at all or just have the thinnest pair on.

I've tried boots brand (don't go near them - horrid), some silk ones (nice and comfy but not very absorbant) and some lovely weenotions. The wn ones were 3 layer, one minkee and one bamboo velour. Both work equally well. I got the larger ones, and theyre a little too large for me I think as I get creases in them but aren't too bad, and they are better than the advent ones, presumably because of the pul layer, but on bad days these leak too - nowhere near as much as the others I've tried.

If I had my time over, I'd definitely get more of the wn ones... but will always have a pack of disposable tommee tippee ones at the ready as some days these are all that will work.

As for not seeing through your clothes - all of them show through, even with my loosest clothes on you can see that I'm wearing them sometimes. Was much nicer with ds as he was a winter baby, so many more layers of clothing.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:45 pm

I just made my breastpads from 3 layers of bamboo velour and I've never had a leak from them (although I'm probably not a terribly heavy leaker!), in fact most washable pads seem better able to cope than disposables. I haven't tried WN or ME pads as I made far too many of my own, but theres no harm in getting a pair of several different kinds to try out!

Lansinoh disposable pads are nice, but expensive (each pad can cost more than a disposable nappy, as do most "branded" pads). Tesco ones aren't bad, I found the Mothercare sposie pads very scratchy :-?

I use 1-2 pairs of washable pads a day, and wash them in any wash so 5 or more pairs would probably be plenty. Maybe more to account for pads that Go Missing in the Wash :lol: I dont find the pads to be too bulky and they only show through the tightest tops. A "t-shirt" style bra, rather than a normal thinish cotton bra, can help disguise the pads too :D

My avatar
Fliblet
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Fliblet » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:38 am

Thanks for the advice :) I've bought a box of 56 Lansinoh disposable ones to get me going, but think I'll get some bamboo ones too to see how I get on - don't want to be using sposies forever. I've bought a rather nifty t-shirt nursing bra from Bravado that has removable foam cup inserts so you can conceal your breast pads entirely if you want, so I'm hoping that will do the trick! :giggle: Officially only a week to go now :shock:, so I'll find out soon enough I guess!

Corinne x

My avatar
VAmum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby VAmum » Sat May 25, 2024 12:33 pm

There's really no one-size-fit all to which breastpads are better - it depends on your priorities :)

Generally, disposable breast pads are more convenient and highly absorbent. While washable ones are more more breahable and economical in the long run.

As for the material, I'd personally prefer those made from bamboo fibres as they are highly absorbent, soft and feels cooler against the skin. They can be more expensive than cotton though.

You might want to check this one out for yourself: https://www.newbeginnings.com.au/collections/nursing-pads

Return to Mums Things