hf1

Arghh overlocker foot help needed -now with photos

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Arghh overlocker foot help needed -now with photos

Postby simlou » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:49 pm

I've got a special overlook foot for my machine but its a disaster. I have broken two needles already and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The needle just keeps hitting the bar in the middle rather than working between the two holes. I'm sure I've selected the right stitch and width.

Any ideas ladies :-x
Last edited by simlou on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
lmap44
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Arghh overlocker foot help needed

Postby lmap44 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:31 am

I have an overlocking foot for my brother machine and that requires one of the zigzag type stitches- but I'm sure you know that and I'm just stating the obvious! can you raise and lower the needle prior to stitching to make sure it won't hit the bar in the middle?

Is there a section in your manual about stitch settings for additional feet available for the machine.

Hth

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Arghh overlocker foot help needed -now with photos

Postby simlou » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 am

Hmmmmm mine is a brother machine too but I've been trying to use the elastic overlock stitch (no 12) I've got it lined up correctly now so its not hitting the middle bar but the fabric isn't feeding through, its doing about five stitches in the left hole and then just one across to the right. Should I just change to normal zig zags (no 2)?

Here's both stitches without the overlock foot and a photo of the stitches available

I've also tried the stretch overlock stitch (left bit on the photo of the fabric) but I thought the pointy bit of the triangle would be the one that went over the edge.

Sorry if I'm being completely dense :oops:

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:56 pm

my brother machine came with an overcasting foot(foot 'G') and there's 2 specific stitches to use with it which look closest to 5 and 12 on your machine :-? which model is yours?

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby flossyfly » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 pm

You probably know this, but the letter under each stitch corresponds the the foot you use with thst stitch. Your manual should tell you which foot is which if it's not on the foot itself.

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby simlou » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:10 pm

:hohoho: I had no idea what the letter stood for. I bought a seperate overlocker foot which said it was compatible with my model - now I don't think I can't use it :-? . So.....if that the case, which stitch would you use for seams when using jersey/interlock fabric?

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby flossyfly » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:56 pm

I would just use a straight running stich and if you want to finish the edges use one of the zig zag stitches. I very rarely change the foot for general sewing. In fact I rarely use most of the stitches on my machine lol

My avatar
lmap44
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lmap44 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:44 am

What flossfly said- my machine has a g foot for the overlock stitches that look like your stitch 5 & 12. But by the looks of your photo of the machine settings you can only use the j foot for all the stitches and in theory it should work iyswim. Before I got an overlocker for xmas I used straight stiches on jersey/ interlock and zigzag for decorative seams/ hems. Hth x

Return to DIY and share your projects!