Knickers!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Knickers!

Postby littlesez » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Izzy has a full wahm stash of knickers age 2-3 and figuring out how to make them now as with my slow progress with sewing she will be able to fit into them by time i have finished next size up :giggle:

I have tried fishsticks pattern and really struggling. @indigosky2k will vouch for that she has seen them in the flesh! My first attempt was funny a bit scrunchy and wonky and unwearable and next attempt was going great until i managed to sew them inside out :hohoho: I am finding it hard with 2 layers see. I am managing to sew other fishsticks items eg lapgown ok as they have 1 layer of fabric.

Sorry i am waffling! Anyone know a simple pattern with just one layer of fabric for knickers? I know mine won't be as nice/good as wahm ones but i really want to make them for her.

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Knickers!

Postby karenandgeorgia » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Have you done the lap tee binding? I can't see how that is much different to the bands on the knickers?

I like the *thatdarnkat* knicker pattern

How about trying fold over elastic for the bands?

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:18 pm

I've done the fishsticks knickers with just one layer in the body and without the hidden elastic in the waistband and they've worked really well, just sew the side seams on the main body piece the do the waistband and cuffs the same as you would for neckbands and cuffs on fishstick t-shirts

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:18 pm

I use the *thatdarnkat* pattern too, the first few pairs are a bit fiddly but I find it more of a PITA to cut the fabric now! Use lots of pins, stretch the fabric as you sew with zigzag stitch.

Ooh yes, FOE sounds like it might work but you may want to add an extra inch to the rise when cutting out the fabric.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:49 pm

I use *that darn kat* too though I have only managed one pair so far and they came unravelled a bit when I washed them (no overlocker and just getting used to a new machine when I made them.) DD is outgrowing the ones we got from Rae so I will be attempting some more soon in the bigger size.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:49 pm

littlesez wrote:I have tried fishsticks pattern and really struggling. @indigosky2k will vouch for that she has seen them in the flesh! My first attempt was funny a bit scrunchy and wonky and unwearable and next attempt was going great until i managed to sew them inside out :hohoho:

Oh yes I can vouch for that :hohoho: :hohoho: Personally of the knickers I#ve got off WAHM's for Kacie I prefer the *thatdarncat* ones to the Fishstick designs ones. So maybe try that pattern too hun and see if it's any better :)

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby simlou » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:16 pm

I've just made a fishsticks pair, pm me if you want and I can talk you through what I did. Pickies are on facebook if you want a nosey :giggle:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:22 pm

I am gonna try fishsticks with one layer and then if not ill buy the thatdarncat patterns thanks x

Return to DIY and share your projects!