Washable nursing pads help.

My avatar
Rubyhall
Clothie
Clothie

Washable nursing pads help.

Postby Rubyhall » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi, :wave:
Just wondered if anyone could help me out, I am pregnant :pregnant: (4weeks to go) and want to make a few washable nursing pads, but I need help.
I understand the basics- cut circles put in darts and sew the layers together BUT how many layers do I need & of what?
I have bamboo terry I would like to use & some nice minky & cottons and also fleece (don't imagine that's very absorbant though). Do I need a layer of PUL or similar or not?
Also how many pairs would you recomend I would need?
Thanks in advance for your help!
:thumbsup:
xXXx

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Washable nursing pads help.

Postby Bugglyboo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:14 pm

I would put the minkee closest to your boob (nice and soft), bamboo terry behind (the absorbant bit) and then the fleece as the water resistant bit furthest from the boob.
I've used this combo for csp and its worked really well.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:32 pm

If you have PUL on the back, then one layer of absorbent fabric in the middle should be fine, with minkee or something nice and soft against your skin. Personally I like to have natural fabrics against the skin so bamboo velour is a lovely alternative to minkee, as well as being absorbent. If you think you might leak a lot then two layers of terry (or one of terry, one of BV or bamboo jersey or other soft, absorbent fabric) might be better. Fleece can be used as a water-resistant backing instead of PUL.

My avatar
Rubyhall
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Rubyhall » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:17 pm

gayleygoo wrote:If you have PUL on the back, then one layer of absorbent fabric in the middle should be fine, with minkee or something nice and soft against your skin. Personally I like to have natural fabrics against the skin so bamboo velour is a lovely alternative to minkee, as well as being absorbent. If you think you might leak a lot then two layers of terry (or one of terry, one of BV or bamboo jersey or other soft, absorbent fabric) might be better. Fleece can be used as a water-resistant backing instead of PUL.

Great thanks ladies :-)
I will he started tonight :-)
How waterproof if fleece? (only as I have seen some potty training piddle pads on eBay and they used fleece as the absorbant bit?!
xXXx

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Fleece is not really waterproof, not like PUL or other plastic coated materials. It needs to be quite thick, eg polar fleece, rather than cheap thin blanket fleeces you might buy in shops. Fleece does not absorb moisture, so holds it on the surface. If the breastpads get very wet or your bra is very tight (and this happens when BFing!) the moisture can wick to the outside and dampen the bra, but as long as you have plenty of absorbency and change regularly it should be fine. I personally have never bothered with fleece or PUL for breastpads, but I didn't leak much after the first few weeks so 2 layers of BV and one of bamboo terry was plenty without waterproofing. If you have wool felt or a felted wool jumper or blanket, that can be used as a water resistant barrier too, same as fleece, but more breathable.

If you are making them yourself then you can probably just experiment and make a few different types and see which ones work for you when the time comes. You'll want maybe 10 pairs, depending on how often you'll be washing!

My avatar
mrspumpkin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mrspumpkin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:30 pm

i think my nursing pads are just bamboo velour. i had about 4 pairs. i used disposable pads in the initial stages and then the washable ones when my supply settled a bit. i probably could have done with more than 4pairs. also i had a small laundry bag for them go they don't get stuck in the washing machine

Return to DIY and share your projects!