hf1

How difficult is it to make nappies?!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: How difficult is it to make nappies?!

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:03 pm

Before I decide to try there is one question that has been bugging me. With the seams do you see and then turn it inside out or do you need an over locker? I havea stitch on my machine that is like a basic over locker then I just have to cut away the edges. Would that do?

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: How difficult is it to make nappies?!

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:06 pm

gilbertandmartha wrote:Before I decide to try there is one question that has been bugging me. With the seams do you see and then turn it inside out or do you need an over locker? I havea stitch on my machine that is like a basic over locker then I just have to cut away the edges. Would that do?

Depends on what kinda nappy you're making. :giggle: You can make a nappy with an overlocker, if you're after something with frilly leg cuffs, for example. Assuming you're going to make a turned and topstitched one, no, you don't need an overlocker. On a T&T one, the seams are where you put the elastic, so you'd not overlock them. You stitch the elastic onto the seam allowance and then trim the excess with pinking shears. You can then create casing for the elastic by topstitching, after you've turned the nappy the right way around. Trimming the seams reduces the bulk and pinking shears prevent fraying. Not that it matters, as the seams are hidden. :)

Previous

Return to DIY and share your projects!