hf1

Ingredients for NB prefolds?

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Ingredients for NB prefolds?

Postby Rufies mama » Sat May 05, 2012 12:03 am

I want to make some prefolds for my impending newborn, but I'm not sure what fabrics to use. Off the top of my head I have; zorb I, zorb II, Bamboo velour dyed, Bamboo velour undyed, Bamboo fleece (thick), Wool interlock...
I'd like to do some with cute knit print outers but I can't find anything I like at a price I like. Do I absolutely have to have terry on the outside for nippas? (I haven't any terry).

What would you recommend for newborn prefolds? And how many layers etc?

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Ingredients for NB prefolds?

Postby monsterm » Tue May 08, 2012 2:35 pm

bumping for you

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue May 08, 2012 3:30 pm

I made my prefolds from one layer of bamboo terry for the underside, and BV/jersey/whatever you like for the top. I put one layer of bamboo terry in the middle for the soaker and one layer of hemp, I think. For newborns you'd probably be fine with just the one layer in the middle. Zorb and bamboo fleece would be good for the middle soaker bit. I just sewed on the "soaker" to the middle of the underside, put the top layer on right sides together, sewed around and turned and topstitched. A serger/zigzag round the edges would make a slimmer fit for a newborn.

If you don't have terry you could use some nice cheap towels, or don't use terry at all and just pin or lay in the wrap.

My avatar
mammymade
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mammymade » Sat May 19, 2012 1:48 pm

If you don't have any terry, just take a hand towel and cut strips off, sew them on where the nippa would grip and you're sorted. This way you can make the outside printy if you want. You generally only need three little strips to get a good grip with the nippa. I don't think it really grips on much else. I sometimes manage to get it gripped on really thick fluffy fleece, but not always.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sat May 19, 2012 1:52 pm

You can use nippers on cotton interlock :wink: I use cotton interlock for my prefolds and they are very very trim

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Sat May 19, 2012 6:21 pm

red_dwarf wrote:You can use nippers on cotton interlock :wink: I use cotton interlock for my prefolds and they are very very trim

Thanks, where can I get it? Do you know if its possible to get nice prints/colours?

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sat May 19, 2012 7:16 pm

I get some from [url]tissu.co.uk[/url] Her prints are good, but the plain colours can bleed and run a lot so just be carefull as to what ones you get. I tend to get white and LWI dye it funky colours :giggle: You can get loads of nice prits from [url]lushtush.co.uk[/url] Soozi is ace! I make the bulk of the prefold from cotton interlock, and then put a pannel of funky fabric down the middle on the outside. that way you can get a couple of prefolds worth of funky fabric from just a fat quarter :wink:

Return to DIY and share your projects!