hf1

Help to make toddler clothes

My avatar
Rubyhall
Clothie
Clothie

Help to make toddler clothes

Postby Rubyhall » Wed May 16, 2012 11:27 am

Hi, I want to make some PJ's for my son (age 2) and I want to make the style with stretchy cuffs on the trousers and sleeves and a wide waist band. I can make a pattern up but what is the fabric people use for cuffs? Is it like a ribbed jersey?
I will be using plain jersey for the main part and I have an overlocker. Also what would you do to make a wide waist band (I'd prefer not to just use elastic if I can help it as we have some ted baker and some John Lewis PJ's that have nice wide waist bands and they look more comfy on).
Thanks in advance :-)
xXXx

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Site Supporter

Re: Help to make toddler clothes

Postby knees_on » Wed May 16, 2012 11:32 am

Hi, hope you have lots of fun! I use cotton interlock or ribbing for cuffs and for PJ waistbands wide elastic.

HTH :)

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Wed May 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Ribbed jersey most times for cuffs and waist.
Have fun sewing ;)

My avatar
Rubyhall
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Rubyhall » Wed May 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Thank you both :-) I'm planning my first project using new overlocker :-) after seeing the prices of the PJs I like (£15 a pair!!) I decided I best do it myself!! Lol.
Fingers crossed it goes well. xXXx

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 pm

For waistbands and cuffs it's a good idea to use a stretchy fabric with a small amount of nylon or such in it, to help keep it's shape. Cotton jersey will not keep it's shape if used for cuffs, but ribbed interlock should be fine. I use normal interlock for cuffs and waistbands but I put elastic in the waists too.

I know you said you'll be making your own pattern, but I love this one for making jammies :D http://www.etsy.com/listing/98080230/pd ... he-wee-tot

My avatar
Rubyhall
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Rubyhall » Wed May 16, 2012 9:42 pm

gayleygoo wrote:For waistbands and cuffs it's a good idea to use a stretchy fabric with a small amount of nylon or such in it, to help keep it's shape. Cotton jersey will not keep it's shape if used for cuffs, but ribbed interlock should be fine. I use normal interlock for cuffs and waistbands but I put elastic in the waists too.

I know you said you'll be making your own pattern, but I love this one for making jammies :D http://www.etsy.com/listing/98080230/pd ... he-wee-tot

Thanks for that.
Also loving that patten, might save myself some time & just buy it :-P hehe. xXXx

Return to DIY and share your projects!