hf1

Overlocker help!

My avatar
Rubyhall
Clothie
Clothie

Overlocker help!

Postby Rubyhall » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:09 am

Hi, I have recently bought an overlocker and am teaching myself. I need help or advice though. I want to make a short sleeved TShirt so I would overlock the sleeves and then fold it in and the ones i have looked at look to be top stitched with 2 rows to finnish it off but wouldn't that stop it stretching or make it snap?
*hope this makes sense as I am desperate for help!!!*
X

My avatar
Rubyhall
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Overlocker help!

Postby Rubyhall » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:13 am

And surely if I overlocked it instead of top stitch it would cut it. If that makes sense?
thanks in advance!!
x

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:58 am

When you say top stitching, do yo mean heming the end of the sleeve, or top stitching along where you have attached the sleeve? If its hemming the sleve, then you can overlock the edge, but you would need to cut it shorter to make up for the amount that you loose when hemming. If its top stitching ie like on the fishsticks charley raglan tee, then Ive never had a problem with the top stitching snapping and ive made quite a few in my time :wink: You can hem the sleve using a zig zag stitch which will prevent it snapping too

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ImisMummy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:12 am

i think what you are describing, overlock stitch inside with 2 lines of straight stitch on the outside, is a coverstitch and done with a seperate machine

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:15 am

Some great tips on hemming knits on Bonnies blog http://fishsticksandfries.com/blog/?p=1291

My avatar
Rubyhall
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Rubyhall » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:20 am

red_dwarf wrote:When you say top stitching, do yo mean heming the end of the sleeve, or top stitching along where you have attached the sleeve? If its hemming the sleve, then you can overlock the edge, but you would need to cut it shorter to make up for the amount that you loose when hemming. If its top stitching ie like on the fishsticks charley raglan tee, then Ive never had a problem with the top stitching snapping and ive made quite a few in my time :wink: You can hem the sleve using a zig zag stitch which will prevent it snapping too

Yes I mean hemming the end of the sleeve :D
Thanks for your advice :-) do use quite a large stitch size?
I will give it a test go tomorrow :-)
Will try straight stitch first (it looks tidier IMO)
Ooh excited!!
:giggle:
X

My avatar
Rubyhall
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Rubyhall » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:22 am

ImisMummy wrote:i think what you are describing, overlock stitch inside with 2 lines of straight stitch on the outside, is a coverstitch and done with a seperate machine

Yes that's it thank you. But boo, cant get another machine as I probably won't get my use out of it for personal use! :-(
X

My avatar
Rubyhall
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Rubyhall » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:39 am

karenandgeorgia wrote:Some great tips on hemming knits on Bonnies blog http://fishsticksandfries.com/blog/?p=1291

Great just had a read of some of that,
Has anyone used the triple stitch setting for it?
x

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:47 am

Yes ive used it many times. I woudlnt really recomend doing a straight stich as it doesnt have any stretch in it at all.

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!