hf1

Dying muslins

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Dying muslins

Postby Hannahboo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:52 pm

I want to dye all the muslins I have from Darcy as they are all a bit grey now. I tie dyed some for Darcy ages ago but can't remember what I used to dye them :doh: :doh:

I was thinking of just getting some dylon machine dye, so that I can just chuck them all in the washing machine and not have to mess about, but just wondering how many pre washes I would need to do after to make them safe to use with baby. I am thinking more so if baby is sucking on a muslin etc, would it harm him? although I'm guessing by the time he is putting them in his mouth (if he does, Darcy never did but just thinking ahead in case :giggle: ) they would have probably been used and washed quite a few times anyway at that point.

My avatar
Hippychick
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Dying muslins

Postby Hippychick » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:01 am

By no means an expert, but I dyed my greyish muslins bright and denim blue when I found out DC3 was a boy!
I used Dylon Hand-dye (one sachet did 4-5 muslins) and simple table salt. I used hand-hot water, then machine-washed them 3 times (once alone and twice in our normal 30-40 degrees coloured laundry wash) before use. Very little colour bleed.

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:22 am

Hippychick wrote:By no means an expert, but I dyed my greyish muslins bright and denim blue when I found out DC3 was a boy!
I used Dylon Hand-dye (one sachet did 4-5 muslins) and simple table salt. I used hand-hot water, then machine-washed them 3 times (once alone and twice in our normal 30-40 degrees coloured laundry wash) before use. Very little colour bleed.

My avatar
Hippychick
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Hippychick » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:25 am

One thing I will say is that it certainly stops you losing them if they're a nice bright colour!

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:31 am

Hippychick wrote:One thing I will say is that it certainly stops you losing them if they're a nice bright colour!

Yes I'm sure it will :giggle: I love brightly coloured muslins but they can be expensive which is why I thought the best option would be to just dye the boring white ones I have :thumbsup:

Return to DIY and share your projects!