hf1

My first quilt! Progress pics added page 4.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

My first quilt! Progress pics added page 4.

Postby clothmama » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:55 pm

So I took some me time on the way back from uni today and went to the fabric shop. I want to make a quilt for my friends baby boy. I got 1.5 metres of backing and a bit more of 6 fabrics for the front. My easy idea is to do simple strips on the front.

My unsure things are how wide should they be and should I vary the widths? Also what should I do quilting wise, just stay simple and sew either side of each join? Any ideas or tips gratefully received! I'll post pics of the material tomorrow xx

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: My first quilt! Help!

Postby fivefourfour » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:12 pm

It depends on how colourful and detailed the fabrics. If they're quite simple, I'd be more varied with the strips and the quilting, if they're quite busy I'd stay simpler.

We're doing a quilt and we're doing either side of the shape, but they're 6 different shapes - stars and tumbling blocks etc. I think diagonal lines would look good with stripes.

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:54 am

Try to imagine what looks best looking at the fabrics ;)
If you've cut all the pieces take time to arrange them the way you think looks best, look from a distance to see the totalview.
In the quiltmay there are more tips/hints ;)

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:33 am

I really like freemotion quilting. You just stick on a darning foot and go crazy with the squiggles :giggle: I made a really nice quilt for stink. it is 1 fabric on the front, 1 on the back, some wadding in the middle. Then I free motion quilted the heck out of it and bound off the edges. Ive not got a great pic, but you can see it in here.

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:19 am

I love this quilt - the simplicity of the colour fade and the crazy pattern of the quilting:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:28 am

Thanks for your replies!

So I have started! My original idea was red white and blue but ended up with green as well J said the red stripes were too much so I'm going to use that as the binding. The material with animals (2) is 6 inches and the rest 3.5" I'm just doing full width stripes. I'm really pleased with how it's going am taking pics as I go so will stop layer and post them. I'm just hoping the wadding I have is enough so I can keep going! Still undecided about the quilting aspect I don't have a darning foot so can't do free motion am thinking simple lines maybe in red cotton either side of the joins?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:14 pm

So these are the fabrics all lined up and starting to play with arranging. J banned me from using the red as part of the main quilt as he said it jarred too much, I think I agree now that I've done it!:

and this is my final decision, with the red one showing as a little border. I need to do bias and I have a 2" (I think) bias maker will this be OK?

I'll grab more pics later as I've now finished the whole front and I haven't shown you the backing material.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Looks great! I think simple red lines would work fine, although navy would prob look better.

Can't wait to see re finished quilt! I have long-term ambitions to eventually make one for our bed :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Frances wrote:Looks great! I think simple red lines would work fine, although navy would prob look better.

Can't wait to see re finished quilt! I have long-term ambitions to eventually make one for our bed :)

@Frances do you mean I shouldn't do the bias with the red either? The thing is the backing has red as well as all the other colours. on the other hand don't want to spoil it!

ETA just re-read do you mean as in red cotton to do the quilting lines? To do the quilting in navy

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!