hf1

My first quilt! Progress pics added page 4.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: My first quilt! Pics added and colour question!

Postby Frances » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:49 pm

I think red bias with red thread would look great but I'd stick with navy thread for the main body of the quilt to co-ordinate with the majority of colours in the quilt.

Honestly though, if you prefer red thread throughout, go for it! It would accentuate the bias too, I would just prefer navy personally given that there's already a lot going on within the main body of the quilt :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:53 pm

OK so I just ran out and caught the last of the sun so here is the finished front (you can't see it all but has at least 1 set of the 5 fabrics)

And here is the front and the back together:

So would a small bias in red (the one shown with the stars) be OK or not? I also have bits of the other fabric left so could do a mixed up bias tape with them all together? Please help :panic:

So the next thing I need to do is cut the back so it is straight (furious at Spotlight the cutting is sooooo bad :x ), Not sure of the best way to do it but I'll bumble through. Although if anyone has any easy tips that would be great :widesmile:

Sorry more questions :oops: It said in one of Esthers quilt tutorial that the edges need to be smaller on the front than the back, anyone know by how much?
When I sandwich together and am ready to quilt what is the best way? To start at one end and do my horizontal stripes and worry about the rest later (am thinking I could follow the circles on the back how would that look?)?
Any ideas on colour for quilting - just white or go wild?
How wide is the minimum bias binding for the edges?

Sorry I may be back with more before this is over! TIA :love:

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: My first quilt! Pics added and more questions!

Postby laceybat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:57 pm

i love that i thing that the red will go great.

i want to do one for this baby when i can get in my shed again

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:01 pm

Frances wrote:I think red bias with red thread would look great but I'd stick with navy thread for the main body of the quilt to co-ordinate with the majority of colours in the quilt.

Honestly though, if you prefer red thread throughout, go for it! It would accentuate the bias too, I would just prefer navy personally given that there's already a lot going on within the main body of the quilt :)

Sorry cross posts and didn't see this! OK so the red bias is good but not red quilting stitching - got you thank you!!! :giggle:

I hope it is not too busy???

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:16 pm

That looks fantastic! Not too busy at all :)
Red star bias would look fab and yes I meant navy quilt stitching. Love it!

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:22 pm

wow tory - i love it!!! xx

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:32 pm

I would do red bias and red quilting, I think it will look fun and work best with the back, but have faith in what you think will work best. x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:36 pm

fluffy_mummy wrote:I would do red bias and red quilting, I think it will look fun and work best with the back, but have faith in what you think will work best. x

Thanks Lucie. See that was what I was thinking about with the red, there is no navy on the back. Maybe I'll do some lengths of both colours and lay them out front and back and see.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:44 pm

clothmama wrote:
fluffy_mummy wrote:I would do red bias and red quilting, I think it will look fun and work best with the back, but have faith in what you think will work best. x

Thanks Lucie. See that was what I was thinking about with the red, there is no navy on the back. Maybe I'll do some lengths of both colours and lay them out front and back and see.

Go with your gut instinct :giggle: It's going to look amazing :)

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!