hf1

Which sewing machine?

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Which sewing machine?

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:57 pm

My friend just took me on a sewing machine course, as we're both really keen to use our machines, but struggle with it!

I've come out of it feeling that perhaps a lot of the problem is my sewing machine! It was £50 in Woolies many years ago, and the front loading bobbin seems to be the source of many problems, not least for myself, but 3 sewing friends who've had a look at it.

I tend to hand sew my projects, but the temptation to work faster on some things with a machine remains! I'm having a look on John Lewis and Argos, but really not sure what I should be looking for. I only need basic stitches and functions, but need it to be easy peasy to thread, and for it to quilt through wadding on occasion. Entry level budget.

Hoping somebody can advise!

My avatar
cath
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Which sewing machine?

Postby cath » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Have a look in your local yellow pages for an independent sewing machine shop. They are usually full of knowledge about their machines & which ones are suitable for the purpose you want it for & are more than happy for you to have a play around on different machines to see which one you prefer. They quite often have second hand or reconditioned machines in too.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Which sewing machine?

Postby Twinkletoes » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:02 am

May not be necessary now! I spent HOURS last night trying to get to grips with the ridiculous bobbin on my machine, and finally got it working! Need to get some time to have a proper play, but I'm hoping I get a few months out of it! :D

Return to DIY and share your projects!