Casting on.

My avatar
daisydoodles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Casting on.

Postby daisydoodles » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Help please!! :oops:

I'm trying to knit my first pair of longies and using circular needles for the first time but no matter how loosely I cast on the stitches are too short for me to join up.. I'm using the right length of needles, so is there a specific way to cast on with circular needles?? I can't find anything on you tube except a way that leaves you with a row of purl already done which I don't want!!

I've already decided I hate the colour of the wool I have so I'm just trying to get the hang of casting on properly until my replacement arrives

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Casting on.

Postby laceybat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:22 pm

have you looke at youtube as that is your friend when you are learning.

i use 30cm needles to cast on and use the long tail cast on as well

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:34 pm

The first couple of rows can seem quite tight, it will stretch more easily round the needle after that. Until then, try pulling a loop of the cable out (in the middle, iykwim) so you can push the stitches up the needles and get them to meet while you knit, just keep pulling the stitches along the needle. Also, if you're doing ribbing you're maybe using a smaller size needle than for the body of the longies? and some patterns have you increase the number of stitches after the ribbing, either way it should be fine by the time you've finished the ribbing...

Do you have a longer circular needle in the same size? You could use magic loop, although it might be a bit fiddly if you're still getting the hang of casting on. Magic loop is when you pull two loops of cable out from the needle (like above), as though knitting with a circular-dpns hybrid. Or double pointed needles?

What cast-on are you using? Double-tail/long-tail cast on is popular for longies as it's stretchy. It's easy once you get the hang of it. In fact, I've forgotten how to cast on any other way :oops:

My avatar
daisydoodles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby daisydoodles » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Eeerm I'm not sure what it's called... I use 2 needles and just kind of knit and pop the stitch onto the needle?? :oops:

I'm going to go and peek at some of the stuff you've listed on you tube... I'm using a 30cm needle as the waistband is ribbed, but have 40cm and 80 as well so i'll look up the magic loop as well!

I tried casting on with my finger, but that was pretty uneven and looked messy!

I can't believe I've got myself in such a mess over casting on after sitting down and working everything else out in the pattern! :hohoho:

Thank you :hug:

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:24 pm

I think it's definitely worth having a look at the long tail cast on method. I think I know the method you're using, and I now much prefer the long tail method. I use it almost primarily now, unless a pattern calls for something in particular. Also, when I cast on my longies, I always cast on with a larger needle then knit the first row with the right size (if that makes sense?). It just makes for a looser waistband I find. :D

My avatar
daisydoodles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby daisydoodles » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Thank you all... Ive been watching videos and teaching myself and can now pretty much do the double tail cast on... I'll give the larger needle a try too and hopefully my new wool will arrive tomorrow so that I can finally get started!! :D

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:04 pm

daisydoodles wrote:Thank you all... Ive been watching videos and teaching myself and can now pretty much do the double tail cast on... I'll give the larger needle a try too and hopefully my new wool will arrive tomorrow so that I can finally get started!! :D

I love youtube for self learning! The amount of times that I've sat pausing at particular spots and rewinding rewinding rewinding :hohoho: :hohoho: Glad you got it sorted! We just need pics now! :twisted:

My avatar
daisydoodles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby daisydoodles » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:54 am

clothmama wrote:
daisydoodles wrote:Thank you all... Ive been watching videos and teaching myself and can now pretty much do the double tail cast on... I'll give the larger needle a try too and hopefully my new wool will arrive tomorrow so that I can finally get started!! :D

I love youtube for self learning! The amount of times that I've sat pausing at particular spots and rewinding rewinding rewinding :hohoho: :hohoho: Glad you got it sorted! We just need pics now! :twisted:

Well if they don't have too many holes once I've finished I'll post photo's :hohoho:

I just have to teach my mum all the stuff I've learnt now (30 years after she taught me to knit!).. she looked at me blankly when I said she'd be best off using the double tail cast on for the pair she's knitting... she's already in a flap about the grafting section and folding the waistband! :giggle:

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:51 am

Oh yes, I agree with You Tube too - it's taught me so much! :D

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!