hf1

Anyone made a bloke's shirt?

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Anyone made a bloke's shirt?

Postby emmab16 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:57 pm

the lovely & talented karen from titches stitches has made Ben a shirt with a gorgeous michael miller fabric, and hubby would like a matching one!! My MIL is quite handy with a sewing machine, so was thinking it could be a little project for her (she is retired! :sew: ) and good for DH's birthday. Has anyone done one & got any pattern recommendations? Looking on google I am overwhelmed :roll:

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Site Supporter

Re: Anyone made a bloke's shirt?

Postby knees_on » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Could she not size up the patterrn Karen used, which I believe is Fishsticks everyday camp shirt?

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:50 pm

knees_on wrote:Could she not size up the patterrn Karen used, which I believe is Fishsticks everyday camp shirt?

I don't know tbh - my sewing days are long in the past so my knowledge is not great. But wouldn't it have to be sized up LOADS to fit his big belly? :giggle:

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Site Supporter

Postby knees_on » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Oh yes but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard if you have a shirt of his already. The pattern would then give guidelines.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:10 am

Depends on the style of shirt. Grading up a pattern is quite difficult if you want to get the proportions right. If it's a straight shoulder seam then it shouldn't be too difficult but if it's a normal style shirt then getting the shoulder seam to fit in the scye (curve of the armhole) is quite a precise job. The curve of the top of the sleeve is also important, as is the size of the collar.

Making a shirt is fairly complicated in terms of techniques so I'd get a proper pattern with the right markings and instructions. I can't recommend one tho, sorry - I usually make my own patterns for things.

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:06 pm

northernruth wrote:I usually make my own patterns for things.

wow! that sounds fab, you must have lots of fun being able to do that!! Will get looking for a pattern xx

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:18 pm

emmab16 wrote:
northernruth wrote:I usually make my own patterns for things.

wow! that sounds fab, you must have lots of fun being able to do that!! Will get looking for a pattern xx

Ha not really, hardly ever do it anymore. Used to do it for a living (not much of a living at that) and I kind of lost the love. More of a knitter these days!

Return to DIY and share your projects!