hf1

How to make lavender oil?

My avatar
louellen
Clothie
Clothie

How to make lavender oil?

Postby louellen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:47 pm

Does anyone know whether it's possible to make your own lavender oil? Thinking the type of thing I put in the nappy bucket to keep it smelling sweet :-)

We have loads of lovely lavender in the garden and it struck me I should try making some essential oil, but a quick google mostly brings up ad-based sites which I'm always suspicious of!

I'll post this in the grow-yer-own section too as this does mostly seem to be sewing, but I figure sew-your-own folks might also know how to do this kinda thing! :D

Ta! x

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: How to make lavendar oil?

Postby aimeet » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:48 pm

You need a still as you need to pass steam over it and be able to collect the oil I think. Very hard to do at home unless you are a chemist! I would say make some lavender bags or pop a few sprigs into some cheap vodka to make an eau de toilette.
I made lavender and lemon shortbread the other day with a few heads 5 maybe chopped finely and zest of a lemon in my normal recipe.
Its a lovely herb to use as a pep in herbal tea too :)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: How to make lavendar oil?

Postby monsterm » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:48 am

Very hard to do unless you have your own steam distiller. You also need a massive amount of lavender flowers to get a small 10ml standard bottle

My avatar
louellen
Clothie
Clothie

Re: How to make lavender oil?

Postby louellen » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Oh, thanks ladies, I figured it would take an awful lot of lavender but didn't realise you needed a steam distiller. I'll stick to the professionally made stuff! Good idea about the lavender bags, and the shortbread! Mmm...sounds amazing! Does it taste lovely?

Do you think you could put sprigs straight into a bath to release the aroma?

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: How to make lavender oil?

Postby aimeet » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:06 pm

You can put sprigs in the bath but I find it better to tie them up ina muslin bundle and crush them a bit to get the smell out better. And yes the shortbread is scrummy. I just zested a lemon and added the flowers from 5 heads to sugar and gave it a blitz before adding to the flour and fat. I supose you could also add a couple of dried sprigs to a jar of sugar to flavour it like with vanilla iyswim. It tastes a bit like rosemary but sweeter :)

Return to DIY and share your projects!