hf1

Would you be happy with gifts made out of acrylic wool?

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Would you be happy with gifts made out of acrylic wool?

Postby Hannahboo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:10 pm

I am trying to get sorted for all the gifts I want to make for a couple of friends due babies soon, and also for presents for family for Christmas and trying to keep costs down as we dont have a great amount of funds at the moment so have decided I will make knitted items for as many people as possible.

Thing is, I'm not sure we can afford to use pure wool for them, as once I add all the costs up its working out very expensive, plus I have lots of acrylic here already in various colours, so just wondering what the general consensus is on whether people would be happy to receive gifts made from acrylic? I know a few people I need to knit for wouldn't know the difference tbh so I will make theirs from acrylic but then there are others who I know would know the difference but not sure if they would mind if that makes sense :giggle:

Obviously I'm sure most of us would prefer pure wool if we had the choice :giggle: but I also know I would happily put acrylic cardigans, jumpers, hats etc on Darcy and bump but I know some people wouldn't use anything other than natural products :-? so really just a random question to see what others think :giggle:

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Would you be happy with gifts made out of acrylic wool?

Postby Dora » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:19 pm

Of course- i'd be very happy with a gift that had taken such thought :love: x

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:48 pm

I would - and have been - very pleased to receive a gift made of acrylic wool. It's always lovely that someone has put such time/effort into a gift. Plus, acrylic wool is easy to wash :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Of course I would. I would be very happy x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Yep I would be over the moon :love:

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:24 pm

I would be over the moon if friends made me knitted gifts, the wool wouldn't make any difference. I dressed ds in allsorts and would dress dd in arylic too. I think your friends will be touched that you've made the effort for them xx

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Yep I would love it! I am currently crocheting Naimh a blanket in acrylic as I could not afford pure wool. x

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:48 pm

I think that some acrylic yarns are lush and I have used some truly awful pure wool too, so there are both ends of the spectrum out there either way ;)
If your making clothes acrylic will probably stand up better to all the washing anyway tbh, just make sure you buy from your lys so you can have a good squish and find the best thing for your project ;)

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:54 pm

Yes, and for some things it's better in a way, cos they can quickly be bunged in the wash, and they dry in a flash.

I have some lovely hand knits that my mum sources from church fetes etc, and some crochet blankets I stalk eBay for, and they're all acrylic and well loved.

Having said that, if they DO know the difference, maybe a smaller item in a blended yarn would be a good compromise?

My brother's godmother offered to knit us baby cardis earlier this year, so I bought her loads of pure wool yarn (she usually uses acrylic). I've just taken delivery of half a dozen beautifully knitted acrylic cardigans, so I'm a bit baffled! Had been planning on the first cardi being pure wool, and now it's too late :(

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!