hf1

Would you be happy with gifts made out of acrylic wool?

My avatar
paw foot
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Would you be happy with gifts made out of acrylic wool?

Postby paw foot » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Yes, I think most people would find it easier to care for and look after. Not everyone is experienced as wool care like the ladies on here :D

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:56 pm

yes, you can get some lovely acrylic wool and it is easier to care for, pippa was a very sicky baby so everything had to be machine washable as i didnt have time to blink never mind hand wash loads of stuff :oops:

My avatar
Iverson
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Iverson » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm super picky and would only use natural things on my babies and kids. 100% wool or cotton.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:37 pm

I would totally love that someone went to the effort of making a home-made gift, but I can't even touch acrylic, it makes my cringe! If it wasn't for that, I'd be happy though :D

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks for all the replies, makes me feel a lot better about giving gifts made from acrylic :giggle: It wouldn't have even really occurred to me before joining up here about the different wools as we had some lovely acrylic cardigans when Darcy was a baby that were made for her, and I loved them! It never really crossed my mind about acrylic being easier to care for if you have a sicky baby. Darcy was never sick so we didn't have that issue, hope bump isn't a sick baby otherwise I am going to end up doing a fair bit of hand washing with the few bits I have made for him in pure wool :giggle: I got some Sidar supersoft aran when I was in John Lewis the other day which is acrylic but I am really impressed with how soft it is knitting up, just in the middle of a scarf in it for Darcy and it feels really nice, much better than other acrylics I have tried in the past :thumbsup: Doesn't help that I have had 4 friends have baby girls in the past few weeks and another 2 due before Christmas so have lots of teeny things to knit up :giggle:

Twinkletoes wrote:My brother's godmother offered to knit us baby cardis earlier this year, so I bought her loads of pure wool yarn (she usually uses acrylic). I've just taken delivery of half a dozen beautifully knitted acrylic cardigans, so I'm a bit baffled! Had been planning on the first cardi being pure wool, and now it's too late :(

I would be so annoyed if I had supplied the wool and then they sent back acrylic items, would you be able to get the wool you supplied back? If so, maybe someone would be able to knit it up for you in time x

Shaunie wrote:I would totally love that someone went to the effort of making a home-made gift, but I can't even touch acrylic, it makes my cringe! If it wasn't for that, I'd be happy though :D

I dont like knitting with acrylic as I find it squeaks on the needles :giggle: but this Sidar acrylic I got seems quite soft knitted up so will wait and see what the finished item is like :D

Iverson wrote:I'm super picky and would only use natural things on my babies and kids. 100% wool or cotton.

I think if money wasn't an issue most people would :giggle: Just thinking about it though there is so little 100% wool or cotton clothes etc in the shops these days that I think most people wouldn't mind, or at least I think so anyway :-?

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:15 pm

I'd feel bad asking for my yarn back though, when she's spent so long knitting lovely (if squeaky!) cardis for my baby.

Section on Wednesday! So definitely no chance of getting something by then!

It's no biggie really, I'm not at all precious about first nappy/outfit etc. Have packed a perfectly nice white acrylic cardi.

It's a shame though, my absolute favourite shawl is a 35 yr old one that her mum knitted for me as a baby, in lovely pure wool.

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:03 am

I really likr sidar crofter and find it good value for gifts.
I have a few friends having babies and would love to make them pure wool blankets but its just too exspensive. The arcylic ones i've crochetted still look nice.
Have to say though I'm currently knitting my lovely nb baby girl a pure wool blanket, in baby cashmere, sooooo lovely and soft x

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:50 am

Twinkletoes wrote:I'd feel bad asking for my yarn back though, when she's spent so long knitting lovely (if squeaky!) cardis for my baby.

Section on Wednesday! So definitely no chance of getting something by then!

It's no biggie really, I'm not at all precious about first nappy/outfit etc. Have packed a perfectly nice white acrylic cardi.

It's a shame though, my absolute favourite shawl is a 35 yr old one that her mum knitted for me as a baby, in lovely pure wool.

Yes, would be awkward to ask for it back when she had gone to all the effort of making them for you, just a shame she didn't use the yarn you bought :-? Good luck for Wednesday :thumbsup:

labbiefan wrote:I really likr sidar crofter and find it good value for gifts.
I have a few friends having babies and would love to make them pure wool blankets but its just too exspensive. The arcylic ones i've crochetted still look nice.
Have to say though I'm currently knitting my lovely nb baby girl a pure wool blanket, in baby cashmere, sooooo lovely and soft x

I have only knitted things for bump in pure wool but thats because I bought the yarn when I had extra funds. After having a few unexpected large expenses I need to find a way to cut back and unfortunately DH doesnt think wool is a necessity :giggle:

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:46 am

Mine neither Hannah! X

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!