hf1

Making your own teeny nappies?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Making your own teeny nappies?

Postby Mareth » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Has anyone made their own newborn/xs nappies?

I really don't have a lot to spend on tinies, but do want some, so my mam suggested making them myself.

What fabrics will I need, where can I get them cheap, etc, etc, etc?

Thanks

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Making your own teeny nappies?

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:53 am

I didn't bother making xsmall, but I made a fair few small. I used the Darling Diapers pattern - the same one that Dunk n Fluff (amongst others) use. You can get the newborn size for free here:

http://www.darlingdiapers.com/Darling%2 ... rn2009.pdf

I used cotton FQ or minkee for the outer, bamboo fleece for the hidden layer and OBV for the inner. They obviously weren't as stretchy as an all-knit nappy, but they worked brilliantly.

I get a lot of my nappy-making fabrics from Green Beans, but they're obviously a lot more local to me. :giggle:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:32 am

I have loads of size 1 bamboozles (old, non-stretchy), some newborn pre folds, and am buying a couple of nb bumgenius.

Do you think I really need more xs? I never bothered with Rhys, he went into cloth at a couple of days old and they fitted, but we're definitely bulky, I'll be trying to use cloth from birth with this one, all being well.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:25 am

I am not the person to ask - I produce monster-sized children. :oops: xsmall nappies were just useless on Callum - way too small, on the whole. I only had smalls (and OS) for Iris and didn't miss having anything smaller. She was in cloth from being a few days old, too. If you did fancy xsmall, you could pick up some Sandy's - they are cheap enough to come by and hold their value well to resell. But I might be tempted to save your money for larger sizes, TBH.

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby usinukveg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:52 pm

I made a few xs nappies and was really glad as L was a tiny baby (and stayed tiny!) I just bought towels at a charity shop and chopped them up. I also bought some fleece and elastic from a local fabric shop on clearance. All in all it must have cost me around 7 or 8 GBP for 3 or 4 nappies. I did kill my machine sewing through all that terry though, just a warning!

I used patterns from a nz site...found it! http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/diy.php I used shar's newborn fitted, but seem to remember that I made a few modifications (not that I could remember what those were...)

It went pretty fast after the first one. Good luck!

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby usinukveg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:54 pm

I should add, I could have made more with the materials that I'd bought, but I gave birth after 4 nappies made and couldn't sit properly to sew because of all those stitches. ouch!

Return to DIY and share your projects!