hf1

New to sewing?

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

New to sewing?

Postby labbiefan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi. I'm completely new to sewing :( soooo can anyone recommend a good beginners sewing machine? (up to £100.ish)

Also good sources for fabric?

Just love home made gifts and clothes, so going to give it a good go. My mum is a sewer so I have a good mentor but she doesn't use the net!

Thanks in advance.

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: New to sewing?

Postby willowherb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:03 pm

I really like my singer machine, they are good make and easy to.use. For fabric on the internet I go mainly to fabric rehab as they have a lovely choice or sometimes ebay. I prefer to go to my local fabric shop. Its like a treat and I love the feel, look and smell of fabric, but im a bit weird like that. :loopy: :lookround:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:06 pm

I bought my Singer 2nd hand from my local sewing machine shop and got a bargain so if you have a shop anywhere near by then that's a good place to start. I like fabric inspirations and rooftop fabrics, but my local fabric store and Dunelm Mill are great too :)

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Not too sure where to get your machine from, mine was a present from hubby as he wanted something made :hohoho:

I use Fabric Rehab too, but go to their little shop as it is local to me. It is great to walk around and see the fabric (kiddy friendly too with toys!!!). I also use Fabric Inspirations, Frumble, Celtic Fusion Fabric and Prints to Polka Dots (for Riley Blake fabric.)

Happy sewing! :D

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:02 pm

You'll get hooked before you know it ;)

I started with a very cheap machine and bought a Singer after that I liked though being a sewingjunkie I bought a Husqvarna last year and that's such a fab machine that I never go back.

Go to a local shop and try a few, then you'll know what's best for you.

Return to DIY and share your projects!