Getting started with a sewing machine

My avatar
kazzads
Clothie
Clothie

Getting started with a sewing machine

Postby kazzads » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi Ladies,

I think it's about time I got crafty so I've asked DH for a sewing machine for Christmas. Since I've never tried are there any websites etc useful for a complete beginner? What's a really good machine? I've asked for a singer 1409...

Thank you! :-) xx

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Getting started with a sewing machine

Postby mangajude » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:29 pm

YouTube is brilliant for basic toutoirals. And there are a lot of simple patterns on the net. www.prudentbaby.com is great for good patterns and there a lot of links via pintrest!

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:22 pm

First of all, :yahoo: for a sewing machine.

I had a Singer before the Husqvarna I have now and think they are good machines.

Lots of info on the net or you can ask one of us if you get stuck ;)

What type of items do you have on your list?

My avatar
kazzads
Clothie
Clothie

Postby kazzads » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:51 pm

Aah thanks ladies.

I GOT MY MACHINE!!! :widesmile:

I haven't got a list of things to make with it yet. I haven't even got cotton!! Hahahahhaaaa

I will need to have a google for inspiration. What kind of things did you start with? xx

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:56 pm

I borrowed my Mums machine before Christmas and made minky taggie blankets. my dd loves them so I consider them a success :)

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:48 pm

Mu only advice would be to have some ideas BEFORE you look at fabric! I seem to keep buying fabric but no idea what to make with it. Then I decide to make something and havent got enough fabric for it. Frustrating.

I've been making a few things, like sleeping bags for the baby, a billion wipes and face wipes. I'm going to make some full bibs for her today and tomorrow.

I'm learning some basics by doing basic type things, and my plan is to make some rompers and some clothes for Lola

Return to DIY and share your projects!