hf1

Advice on making a nappy that doesn't rub or leak! :)

My avatar
piccola15
Clothie
Clothie

Advice on making a nappy that doesn't rub or leak! :)

Postby piccola15 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi there,

I am quite new to reusable nappies and I like them however my baby has eczema and the nappies I have seem to be making it come up quite bad on his tummy. I am now wondering if I can make a nappy that will be soft on his skin but also keep the wee locked in!

For some background, I am currently using Little Lambs with Little Lamb & Nature Babies wraps and also have Itti Bittis for day use when I am out and about or for my other nappy changers to use! I like both of these; the Itti Bittis because they are soft and the little lambs because they are soft and absorbent and I never have leaks with those. I'd like to make one that does both of those things but I need it to be lined with something that keeps the wetness from his skin. I'm not too bothered about bulk as long as it doesn't restrict him or dig in.

I've never made a nappy before so I don't really know where to start! Any suggestions about layers would be great. If possible I would like both the outer and inner to be minkee type fabric as I know this doesn't irritate my eczema so I'm hoping it'll be ok on him. I can't use wool because he's allergic to it and I did try fleece wraps for breath-ability but his clothes kept getting wet.

Thanks in advance!

Jenna :)

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Advice on making a nappy that doesn't rub or leak! :)

Postby Bugglyboo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 pm

I use the darling diapers pattern. Its fab and gives options for pocket and fitted nappies and then you can choose front or side fastening.
I line my nappies with either fleece or organic bamboo velour. I then use bamboo fleece or bamboo terry towling as the absorbant bit (although obv is also absorbant.). I use a variety of minkee, fleece, obv and cotton for the outer as I tend to mainly use fitted nappies.

We struggled to find a wrap that didn't give Eddie nasty red marks so now only really use wool or fleece wraps.

My avatar
piccola15
Clothie
Clothie

Postby piccola15 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi Bugglyboo,

Thank you, the darling diapers pattern does look lovely and I like the fact that there are options. I have used bamboo velour for my wipes and I love it, so gentle on his little botty! I did consider that being on the inside however I wasn't sure if that would keep the wet close to the skin? I am really new to this so maybe my understanding isn't quite right but I thought it might be better to have a fabric that lets water pass through it rather than absorb it?

Thanks again, Jenna :)

My avatar
PixieJemLeif
Clothie
Clothie

Postby PixieJemLeif » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:32 pm

fleece is best as takes moisture away from skin without releasing it back similar to disposables :) as for wraps pul is soft could use that altho not cheap

Return to DIY and share your projects!