hf1

Flipping sewing! printing a pattern trouble

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Flipping sewing! printing a pattern trouble

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 pm

And yet another reason why I hate sewing!!!!

So I've downloaded a pdf pattern, and when you look at the pdf on the computer the actual lines go right up to 2-3mm from the edge. When I print it (and i've tried all ways) the top and left print right up to this point, the right and bottom print up to 1cm of edge.

SO is there something else I should do to make it print right up to the edges? I don't really want to ask DH because he'll just ask what i'm doing and the least he knows the better.

My avatar
GreenPanda
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Flipping sewing! printing a pattern trouble

Postby GreenPanda » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:36 am

Sounds like you may need to manually set the margins for the printer, when you hit print does it come up with a box where you can choose layout? If so there should be an option in there to change the margins, either that or have you tried printing the whole pattern and taping together, assuming it's more than one sheet, to see if it is meant to be that way?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:00 am

For some reason there isn't a choose margains bit. I actually need to have NO margains. I've printed the whole thing out, and it does seem like I can stick them together and fill in the missing bits, but because its a baby carrier I'd rather not, IYKWIM

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:40 am

I seem to remember when imprinted fish sticks patterns I had to slightly overlap the pieces of paper to join the bits together...
Let me check on her page.

Edit: yup, you do.
I suspect it would be the same for your pattern as I'm not sure printers can print to the very edge of a page (except fancy pants pro ones).

http://fishsticksdesigns.com/blog/how-to-use-a-pdf-pattern/

Doe your pattern give dimensions so you could check?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:39 pm

I bit the bullet and asked DH to check for me (thankfully he didn't ask what it was) he said the same Simone that printers can't go right to the edges, I had to do the same with fishsticks. I did have to carry the line through in a couple of places, but she did have dots on the page to line them up.

So i'm just waiting for my fabric now :yahoo:

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:59 am

Glad you've found the way to do it......now I'm soooo nosey about the pattern................ :hiding:

Return to DIY and share your projects!