hf1

Decided to make my own nappies :D

My avatar
PixieJemLeif
Clothie
Clothie

Decided to make my own nappies :D

Postby PixieJemLeif » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:22 pm

so excited got ebroidery on way from wee notions. a friend agreed to do another embroidery for me and seen some panda pul for a 3rd one :)

whats your next project?

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Decided to make my own nappies :D

Postby Woozle35 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Wow you are very busy. @littlesez has made some nappies recently :)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 am

Just made one so far and it was a fitted would have no idea how to make a pocket nappy or embroidery though :D

I made a one size nappy and now trying a newborn one

My avatar
PixieJemLeif
Clothie
Clothie

Postby PixieJemLeif » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:28 pm

the baby has btp ones so just going to draw roundf it & copy the position of the snaps not like i will sell them :) i got embroidery on some minky from wee notions & a mate is doing another for me so cheatinng lol!! i thought about foing pocket but thought these will be aio with sewn in boosters save me elasticated everything lol x

i made some nappies years ago but was highly uneducated and used an old bath towel so were no good but they were dead easy! x

My avatar
Twinkeystar75
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Decided to make my own nappies :D/old towel?

Postby Twinkeystar75 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 am

Hi there. I just bought a second hand towel from charity shop today. Thought I would try make my own nappy booster. Now interested as you mentioned it was no good? Did it not absorb well, or? Should I give up the idea before I cut the towel? :D It's a very nice, soft John Lewis towel. Just second hand but still would hate to waste it. What material do you use to make the nappy then? Thanks! :) Grace.

My avatar
PixieJemLeif
Clothie
Clothie

Postby PixieJemLeif » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:06 pm

@Twinkeystar75 it made my boys bum red cos was rough & was too bulky i did use them at night couple times but was always red come morning as booster im should be ok but not as good as microfibre or bamboo for absorbencyx

My avatar
mollycoddles
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mollycoddles » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 pm

@Twinkeystar75 @PixieJemLeif I have done some boosters with a minky top layer using towels. I use them in addition to what is already in my nappies. I use them more as liners in my pop in nappies (which need some extra boosting now little man is a bit older).
I used a thin towel that I bought from a charity shop. Some of them have one towelling layer, and some have two! I think a nice fluffy john lewis towel (particularly if you double up the layer) should be quite nice.
Hope it works for you.
My little man had no issues with redness, but his skin is always in contact with the minky layer. Also adds a bit of a personal touch... i bought 30cm square sections from minkyland and got two boosters out of each section I bought.

My avatar
PixieJemLeif
Clothie
Clothie

Postby PixieJemLeif » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:37 am

see towel is ok for absorbency but it tends to hold the wetness where as bamboo & microfibre is designed to take it away so the suggestion of minky or fleece layer is good idea as will stop the wetness sitting next to his skin i made the entire nappy from an old towel so was more in contact

My avatar
Twinkeystar75
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Twinkeystar75 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:41 am

Hi Ladies. Thanks for the advice. I have made some boosters from the charity shop towel and line it with some cotton material I cut off my friend's old jumper. She asked me to bin some stuffs when she moved to Oz. Might as well I use. Will try the minky next. Thought I'd practice first. XX Grace.

Return to DIY and share your projects!