Dip Dyeing and LWI - how I did it... :D

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Dip Dyeing and LWI - how I did it... :D

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:09 pm

Okay so for the dip dyeing...

I prepared the dye and fabric as per packet instructions in a large plastic washing-up bowl but instead of submersing it entirely I used a sock hanger (and string, and a chair) to suspend the nappies from (dye bowl on the floor) so they were 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the dye but not hanging over the side (well I did try that but of course they wicked up the dye nicely and it started dripping on the side!)
Once the dyeing time was up I rinsed them twice in the washing machine to remove excess dye (I am NOT doing that by hand!! :lol: ) and left them damp for stage two which was the same, just with the nappies the other way up...
So that's my version of dip dyeing :mrgreen:

LWI I read the following pages:
I've REMOVED THIS LINK AS IT SEEMS CORRUPTED NOW!!
and
http://www.pburch.net/drupal/?q=node/551

But basically I scrunched up the damp top (instructions say the fabric should be damp) and stuffed it into a litre plastic measuring jug and then poured about a cup full of the dye from the nappies bowl of dye over the top - prodded it with a spoon / gloved finger a few times and then left it for the allocated time... And again rinsed rinsed rinsed once time was up...

The instructions for dyeing say to add the fixer last or only use 1/2 the amount of water but I just used full strength, I think it would have given a stronger colour on the LWI if I'd used half strength but the colour on the nappies was strong enough already :D

I hope that makes sense!

Ask away if you've any questions :)

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Dip Dyeing and LWI - how I did it... :D

Postby joodel » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:22 pm

Thanks for those links. Off to source some Dylon tomorrow, if I manage to find the time :wink:
The LWI technique looks like fun!

My avatar
BibsnBots
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Dip Dyeing and LWI - how I did it... :D

Postby BibsnBots » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:36 pm

I don't suppose you have pictures :D

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet