hf1

Help to finish my dd's dress

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Help to finish my dd's dress

Postby 4timeslucky » Sat May 18, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm very proud to have made my daughter a dress. I haven't sewn anything for years. I will try and post a photo later.

My problem is the hemming. I can do the blind hem stitch on the machine fine, its where to hem. I have tried to stand my daughter on a chair and measure but she moves so much there is no chance. I want it to look level, it always seems to be the DIY give away when the dress rides up at the back/slopes.

People must make clothes sometimes for somebody/child who can't try it on. What about mass produced clothes, they must just generalise? Is there a way of doing it without her, maybe a set allowance or calculation eg, 1/2 cm longer at the back for children, 1cm for adults iyswim. Any tips greatly appreciated, even if its tips to measure from floor to hem on an "awkward" child.

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Help to finish my dd's dress

Postby 4timeslucky » Sat May 18, 2013 3:00 pm

I think everybody can see it here

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sat May 18, 2013 9:53 pm

I have no idea about the hem but the dress is lovely!

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Sat May 18, 2013 10:55 pm

Thanks Shaunie.

I think I will just try again and hope my dd is in a more cooperative mood as she really wants to wear it. Also going to use a solid ruler, maybe marked with tape instead of a cloth tape measure, another idea is to pin the front before she puts it on so not so much to do!
I can't find anything using google, it tends to tell you how to hem etc. It would be useful to know as I wanted to try and make a friend's dd one as a surprise.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sun May 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Perhaps Esther @MissFrodo can help?

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sun May 19, 2013 6:08 pm

I love the dress, good job :thumbsup:
Hemmingwise I always make sure that the dress/skirt is an even lenght so f.e. if I measure and pin in one place I can easily see how much I need to hem. Hope this makes sense.
Or I use a good fitting dress to check or I just follow a pattern.

Return to DIY and share your projects!