hf1

Does anyone sew t-shirts etc, I need some advice

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Does anyone sew t-shirts etc, I need some advice

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:01 pm

i've been doing a few bits and pieces, but I'm struggling a bit on the collars and cuffs. So far i've been attatching the ribbing bit using an elastic zig zag stitch which is great, but i've also noticed that the WAHM's then fix it down using a normal straight stitch which I assume is to strengthen it and make it look nice.

two problems I have is - I can often see the zig zag stitch at the join, and if i do the straight stitch it all puckers and doesn't stretch.

What am I doing wrong???

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Does anyone sew t-shirts etc, I need some advice

Postby emmavmorgan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:13 pm

what order are you putting the tshirt together? I do it one shoulder seam, neck edging, 2nd shoulder seam, put in sleeves (and hem or add cuff) then do side seams but starting at the cuff of the sleeve and work to the bottom of the tshirt. When you are top stitching the neck or cuff edging make sure you use loads of pins to hold it in place nicely and make sure you are not stretching the fabric as that is what pukers it. :sewing:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:05 pm

emmavmorgan wrote:what order are you putting the tshirt together? I do it one shoulder seam, neck edging, 2nd shoulder seam, put in sleeves (and hem or add cuff) then do side seams but starting at the cuff of the sleeve and work to the bottom of the tshirt. When you are top stitching the neck or cuff edging make sure you use loads of pins to hold it in place nicely and make sure you are not stretching the fabric as that is what pukers it. :sewing:

I think I have worked it out. I think I need to use a stretch zigzag stitch but have it on zero width, that way its a stretchy stitch but straight. i'm going to give that a go for the topstitching.

It wasn't really the puckering but more that when I top stitched it there wasn't any stretch - does that make sense @emmavmorgan

My avatar
LeezMaree
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby LeezMaree » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:21 pm

I do mine sides, shoulders, arms, hems, cuffs, neck. You need to use the stretchy zigzag so when the neck is stretched over the head the thread doesn't snap. The line on the front is usually made when wahms use a coverstitch machine, I don't have one and don't generally add to mine either and have never had a problem. I do have an overlocker though. Has your sewing machine got an overlock stitch? A lot do, maybe have a look at the instructions?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:59 am

I have also made that boo boo with stretchy material the odd time I've sewed with it, hadn't realised I could do a stretchy straight stich. I wonder if my machine can do it @Soupdragon @mabo ??

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:52 am

clothmama wrote:I have also made that boo boo with stretchy material the odd time I've sewed with it, hadn't realised I could do a stretchy straight stich. I wonder if my machine can do it @Soupdragon @mabo ??

:wave: Yes it sure can, it is the stretch stitch right under the normal straight stitch - it looks like = = = but pictured going down. And I use it for exactly the reason the OP mentioned, to stitch it down - works a treat :D :thumbsup:

Re: which stitch to use to to sew the fabrics together: I use the overlocking stretch stitch instead of a zig zag as I like having a straight edge so you don't get any of the zig zag showing. Either number 18 or 19 in the pic below.

Good luck! :D

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Hey @Mambo haven't seen you in a million years!

this post would be a lot more interesting if I took a picture of my machine, but i'm having my morning tea so its not going to happen. But I've worked out which stretch overlock stitch to use so you don't see the stitches on the right side, and worked out a few more bits.

I'll take pictures later @clothmama

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 am

mabo wrote:
clothmama wrote:I have also made that boo boo with stretchy material the odd time I've sewed with it, hadn't realised I could do a stretchy straight stich. I wonder if my machine can do it @Soupdragon @mabo ??

:wave: Yes it sure can, it is the stretch stitch right under the normal straight stitch - it looks like = = = but pictured going down. And I use it for exactly the reason the OP mentioned, to stitch it down - works a treat :D :thumbsup:

Re: which stitch to use to to sew the fabrics together: I use the overlocking stretch stitch instead of a zig zag as I like having a straight edge so you don't get any of the zig zag showing. Either number 18 or 19 in the pic below.

Good luck! :D

Thanks Marijke @mabo and lovely to see you :thumbsup: :wave: is that a new machine I spy?

gilbertandmartha wrote:this post would be a lot more interesting if I took a picture of my machine, but i'm having my morning tea so its not going to happen. But I've worked out which stretch overlock stitch to use so you don't see the stitches on the right side, and worked out a few more bits.

:whip: you sure do @gilbertandmartha :wink:

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:00 am

gilbertandmartha wrote:Hey @Mambo haven't seen you in a million years!

this post would be a lot more interesting if I took a picture of my machine, but i'm having my morning tea so its not going to happen. But I've worked out which stretch overlock stitch to use so you don't see the stitches on the right side, and worked out a few more bits.

Sounds like you have it sorted :D

@clothmama No not a new machine, I just linked that pic from the internet to illustrate the stitches (hope that is still ok to do :lookround: ?) Still loving the Husqvarna, recently finished another quilt for my nephew :sewing:

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!