hf1

Using a sewing machine from the US elsewhere?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Using a sewing machine from the US elsewhere?

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:51 pm

@clothmama @Bernadette @Soupdragon

Oooh did you know your name doesn't come up first if you do the @ bit. you should change that 'dear leader'!

anyway, don't read anything into it, but we are talking about trying to get back to oz soon (or could be never). anyway i need a new sewing machine, but don't know whether to splurge and get a really good one, but then I don't know how it would go back in Oz, or the UK. We have got step-up/down transformers for our appliances. But I'm just not sure how it would run.

Or do I just get another cheapy and buy a good one when we move.... which could be never!

also Aussie Ladies, how much are machines in Oz, expensive?

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Using a sewing machine from the US elsewhere?

Postby Bernadette » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:58 pm

I bought mine out from the UK. I have a Juki and Juki overlocker which they don't sell over here :hohoho: so not sure where I will get it serviced and need some new bobbin's. Bought universal ones, which don't fit!! Love my machine though but haven't looked at prices over here. But being in Perth, I bet it will be at least 10% dearer than the rest of Oz. Prices for everything are horrendous!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Someone did say that berinia (sp?) run on dual voltage but the prices are :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Both Tory and I have a Husqvarna Emerald 122. I've found it to be a great machine - able to cope with everything I've thrown at it (including making nappies, wraps, wetbags, denim skirts, repairing Iris' leather sandals ...). I expected machines out here to cost more than the UK, but I was surprised to find they were comparable price-wise, if not a bit cheaper. Mine came from a local sewing shop, so I have somewhere to take it for servicing and so on. I guess it depends on how long you'd need a machine to be a stop-gap (possibly!)?

So tell all about why you're thinking of Aus! Especially when and where. :nosey:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:30 pm

Soupdragon wrote:Both Tory and I have a Husqvarna Emerald 122. I've found it to be a great machine - able to cope with everything I've thrown at it (including making nappies, wraps, wetbags, denim skirts, repairing Iris' leather sandals ...). I expected machines out here to cost more than the UK, but I was surprised to find they were comparable price-wise, if not a bit cheaper. Mine came from a local sewing shop, so I have somewhere to take it for servicing and so on. I guess it depends on how long you'd need a machine to be a stop-gap (possibly!)?

So tell all about why you're thinking of Aus! Especially when and where. :nosey:

haha Ms Nosey! there;s no real plan.... but Dh is fed up of this lifestyle and particulary his job. It takes him away from us so much, and he's missing a lot of the kids growing up. So we always wanted to come back to Oz, but we're waiting for him to get to a position/level that would enable him not to take a pay cut to go back (if that makes sense). He won't be able to move back with his current company, so its going to mean saying goodbye to a big amount of his 'Golden Handcuffs'.

His next round of shares mature next june (I think) so we're here until then, then hopefully we'll make a move soon after. But then again it could all change and we may be stuck here!

Hence my debate over buying a good machine that will last but possibly not work in Oz, vs a cheapy for now that will annoy me.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:48 pm

So is he after a change of industry or is he wanting to stick with O&G?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Soupdragon wrote:So is he after a change of industry or is he wanting to stick with O&G?

no idea really, He's at a level now that he could go into a related field easily, which is kind of what we wanted because there's not that much O&G in Oz, compared to here.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:24 pm

No idea on the machines working or not as I don't really get the US electricity thing but I have read on expat forums that kings have a tendency to die an early death f used in other countries. Maybe just get a cheap but OK machine that you could sell before leaving, I k ow here there are cheap Brothers that are pretty reasonable.

That would be so cool if you get back to oz next year! Dumb question, what is OandG in my world it is obstetrics and gynecology!?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:32 pm

clothmama wrote:No idea on the machines working or not as I don't really get the US electricity thing but I have read on expat forums that kings have a tendency to die an early death f used in other countries. Maybe just get a cheap but OK machine that you could sell before leaving, I k ow here there are cheap Brothers that are pretty reasonable.

That would be so cool if you get back to oz next year! Dumb question, what is OandG in my world it is obstetrics and gynecology!?

Far Far from it Tory - Oil and Gas. Although there's probably some similarity both do deal with deep dark caves :giggle:

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!