DIY magnetic pattern marker

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

DIY magnetic pattern marker

Postby clothmama » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:15 am

In trying to follow the FASC shawl pattern I have been finding it very difficult, especially when I have to put it down so often. On looking up ideas I came across the magnetic pattern marker and have been wanting to make one for ages and finally got a minute today to nip down to the ribbon shop and get some ribbon to give it a go :yahoo: ! I just used an old fridge magnet that I cut up but you can buy it on a roll with or without adhesive backing (I'm thinking that with would make this a really easy project!). We tried with a hot glue gun as per one of the tutorial that I saw but it was too fiddly and it was dry before I could get it right so we ended up using a contact adhesive. I'm going to go and buy som spray craft adhesive for the next one I think it will be much easier. Here is what I ended up with:

The magnet side:

I print my patterns out 2 to a page so that they turn into little books and then have a little folder that size to keep them in so this is what it looks like with a 1/2 peice of A4:

I've got enough ribbon to make anther smaller one or even two which could be handy if you need to mark a few things!

Until now I've just been scribbling on my patterns which isn't the prettiest. How do you mark yours? :nosey:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: DIY magnetic pattern marker

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:46 am

:thumbsup: well done Tory making your own! I'm impressed :)

I got 2 free (1 small and 1 large) a few months back with my monthly subscription to knit now magazine.
Not needed to use it yet as I use my kindle for my patterns and I'm knitting so frequently (even if I only manage 1 row!)
- that I remember where I am in the pattern.

But I'll definitely be getting mine out for when we are camping next week :)

Return to DIY and share your projects!