hf1

Elastic advice - repairing LL nappies

My avatar
Olivette
Clothie
Clothie

Elastic advice - repairing LL nappies

Postby Olivette » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:11 pm

A good while ago I picked up a whole load of little lamb cotton nappies and wraps free for postage. They are all in really good condition bar the fact that the elastic needs to be replaced in all of them (the reason why they were free for postage).

I feel pretty happy with actually replacing the elastic (found a fairly good guide/blog post online) but am a bit stumped about the type of elastic to use. A friend suggested that the best type of elastic to use is the elastic designed for swimwear, but at £3.29 for 2.5 metres I'm not sure I can afford that, especially with how much I might need!

A little local shop sells the normal elastic for 20p per metre and I can easily get to the shop. Would just bog standard elastic be suitable?

Thanks!
Ox

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Elastic advice - repairing LL nappies

Postby ems101 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:17 pm

I may be wrong, but i think normal elastic might snap again v quickly. I guess it depends on how oftn you are willing to replace the elastic. If its pretty easy you could replace it 2 or 3 times and still save alot, but if its a pita, it might be worth spending the extra to start with. Could you link me to the tutorial? My LLs tend to fail after around a year as i tend to wash at 60 quite alot

My avatar
Olivette
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Olivette » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks ems!

The tutorial I thought might work pretty well was found here http://www.nooneewilga.com/DIY/nappyelastic.html.

I've just seen that the tutorial says:

Note that the quality of the elastic that you use will affect the durability of your repair. Use the best quality elastic that you can find.

I'm not quite sure where to look for elastic, I've checked ebay but I know nothing about different qualities! :)

Ox

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Lastin is good for nappies I believe
Plush addict sells it for 45p / metre

http://www.plushaddict.co.uk/haberdashery/elastic/lastin/lasting-clear-elastic.html

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:03 pm

I've only ever replaced elastic in pocket nappies & use the regular stuff you get in most shops but that's what pockets are made with anyway.....the one's I did were anyway!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:14 am

I've only ever used Lastin when I've made the couple of nappies I made, it was pretty easy and durable too. I seem to remember from my research that the urine quickly effects normal elastic.

My avatar
Olivette
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Olivette » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:41 am

Thank you everybody!

I do wonder if what my friend was trying to recommend was actually Lastin. She said it's commonly used in swimwear so I think there's a good chance this is what she recommended. I measured the nappies and worked out how much I'd need per nappy to repair, and theres 18 nappies, so I would need 5 metres. Lushtush is selling 5 metres with free shipping for £2.25, so I'm pretty happy that that is all it will cost me to repair!

Thank you all for your input! :)

Ox

Return to DIY and share your projects!