My Handspun Yarn - Latest 3 March!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: My first skein of handspun

Postby clothmama » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:43 am

Glad you liked it I thought you would :giggle: 'tis very cute!

I also love the :dizzy: :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:52 am

I forgot to tell you you got us so interested in spinning that we spent ages the other day reading about spinning :giggle: I think I'm going to give it a try, maybe with a bobbin thing first (although Mr CM quite keen to make one!). What are they called again (sorry so tired!)?

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:21 am

Drop spindle? I've got one somewhere that i've never got round to using, i really should try it

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:26 am

babyroo wrote:Drop spindle? I've got one somewhere that I've never got round to using, i really should try it

That was the word, I'm just looking on ebay and typed in a few things then it suggested spindle :hohoho: I have discovered it is a stick with a round thing on it and a hook on the end :hohoho: :hohoho: I think I'll get himself to make me one to try it out :giggle: I'm jsut looking for wool, I can buy a whole sheep that has just been shorn (without the sheep bit) for $65 :giggle:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:09 pm

@clothmama
You are warned... its a slippery slope to another crafty addiction!
I was "only going to try a drop spindle" because "wheels are too complicated and I dont need one!"

Oh how I was wrong!!

You can easily make a drop spindle yourself. I've tried 2 different types - and I get on sooooo much better with the hook at the top.
Like the picture on the right here:

I tried using like the picture on the left - but really struggled to get the spin right.

If you can master a drop spindle - then it makes transition over to a wheel sooooo much easier!

But guess what I'm going to look at tomorrow............ A 2nd hand wheel for sale about 30 mins from home!
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Sooooooooo excited!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:05 pm

I spent ages on ebay looking at the wool but was a bit overwhelmed about what to get - seems cheaper to get a massive 1kg thing and I am worried I wont' like it and I'll be stuck with a huge wadge of sheep :hohoho:

Interesting about the different ends for the hook, I wonder why they are so different to use? I just realised hubby went to Bunnings yesterday I should have got him to get some bits to make me one :giggle:

How exciting about the wheel, you'll have to let us know if you get it (and pics of course!)

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:27 am

@clothmama

The lady who taught me to use the wheel last weekend advised that I start with spinning commercially processed fibre (tops or roving)
Just because all the fibres will be in the same direction and it's much easier to spin as a beginner.
She advised using BFL or merino to start with as the fibres are a medium length so also easier to use as a beginner.

I'm sticking with tops or roving for now... Then I'm hoping to move onto carding and doing my own fibre straight from the sheep!

She said the best fleece comes from the shoulders and back of the neck of the sheep. You should get 30% yield of good quality fleece from one sheep - you can spin more but the quality is poorer.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Look what I just picked up!!!!
My very own wheel!!!!!!
:yahoo: :yahoo:
:spinning: :spinning:

@clothmama

And Eleanor picked the fleece for me to get practising with!!(she's pink-mad at the moment!!)

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: My first skein of handspun - new pic P3!

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Tory - you don't need a spindle to get spinning....

http://yarnjungle.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/spinning-on-mixer-beater.html?m=1

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!