What is your favorite craft . . .

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

What is your favorite craft . . .

Postby clothmama » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:11 am

..... noggin / thingymijingy? I'm thinking of things that you have bought and been really thrilled with or use constantly or wouldn't even consider crafting without? There are so many things you can buy that I'm interested if there are things I don't have and should! Not talking big things like machines but the little bits and pieces!

Mind would be:
  • rotary cutter and cutting board - my joy in sewing expanded exponentially when I started using these as my cutting out is my least favorite bit!
  • bias binding maker - tbh I've only used it a couple of times but that is more to do with lack of crafting time than lack of :love: :giggle:
  • KAM press - I am often using it and am so pleased I made the jump and got it - most recent ace thing was a funky but pretty cheap duvet / doona cover from Ikea that I got for Josh came without any closure at the end so it all ended up in a big mess each morning! No problems with my press - now has a lovely row of snaps closing it!
  • Walking foot for my :sewing: I just love it - I got a cheapo 2nd hand one but want to get a better one as it just changes my sewing sew much :sewing: :lol:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: What is your favorite craft . . .

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:57 am

I've got a few favorite crafty "thingy's"

Sunflower swift and wool winder
It AMAZING how much faster and better you can wind a ball of wool from a skein to knit from, rather than rely on DH holding his hands out whilst you hand wind - or using the back of a chair!
Definitely the best present ever!!

Niddy Noddy
I love this for winding skeins that I've spun!

Bias Tape maker
Agree with @clothmama - definitely worth having one of these!

30cm circular knitting needles
Makes knitting sleeves/ or legs on Longies sooooooo much easier!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:17 am

Ohhhh @docmaggoo maybe I need me one of those winders :giggle:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:18 am

Ooooh,

I love my sunflower swift and ball winder too.

I also love my cutting mat and rotary cutter.

I am also loving using freezer paper for sewing patterns - tracing the size I need off the printed pdf onto the freezer paper and then ironing the freezer paper to the fabric for cutting speeds things up so much, and I have a reuseable pattern as you cn iron and peel the freezer paper many times :)

@clothmama I just got a pair of KAM pliers, haven't even unpacked them but both Ewan's IKEA duvet covers are now going to get snaps :thumbsup: :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:08 am

sim wrote:I am also loving using freezer paper for sewing patterns - tracing the size I need off the printed pdf onto the freezer paper and then ironing the freezer paper to the fabric for cutting speeds things up so much, and I have a reuseable pattern as you cn iron and peel the freezer paper many times :)

Ohhh maybe I need to get some of this! I'm not sure you can even buy it here can you? Maybe I'll order some and have it sent to MIL to bring over (she comes in 3 weeks :yahoo: ) that sounds ace :thumbsup:

sim wrote:@clothmama I just got a pair of KAM pliers, haven't even unpacked them but both Ewan's IKEA duvet covers are now going to get snaps :thumbsup: :hohoho: :hohoho:

Did his doonas fall out too?? Why on earth don't they put ends on???? In France they have some that are like that but they have a long bit instead that then tucks into the bottom of the bed.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:03 pm

oooohhh

mine would have to be my wool winder (waiting on swift at the moment. ) as well i love it so much

my small circulars as well.

oh and getting a sitter once a month so i can get out in the shed :lookround: :wink:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:59 pm

laceybat wrote:oh and getting a sitter once a month so i can get out in the shed :lookround: :wink:
:hohoho: priorities huh!

Mine would be

my O rings I get from the DIy store for knitting markers - cheap easy and doens't matter if I loose them

KAM pliers - I put snaps on everything!

Some kind of light interfacing stuff that is tracing paper thin and I use this to trace my patterns.

Magnet I stick on my sewing machine to stick needles etc to.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:20 pm

laceybat wrote:oh and getting a sitter once a month so i can get out in the shed :lookround: :wink:

That is soooo cool! A ladies shed - we need pics! @laceybat

gilbertandmartha wrote:my O rings I get from the DIy store for knitting markers - cheap easy and doens't matter if I loose them

OMG I'm so glad I'm not the only one - you will understand my excitement of what J showed me yesterday - He had to order some airconditioning seals from China and was cheaper to get them from there in a huge box than just a few here. I'd (for obvious reasons :hohoho: ) not bothered looking but then for some reason did yesterday and they are PURPLE I was so excited as that was the first thing I thought of :hohoho: :knit: @gilbertandmartha

I just remembered another one - cheap flexible clear chopping boards that I turn into reusable patterns for things I make all the time! Very easy to roll around with the cutter!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:52 am

My thread snippers. For when scissors are just too much effort. :giggle:

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!