Craft table - what would you do?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Craft table - what would you do?

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:49 am

I am so close to the end of my studies that I'm daring to dream ahead a few weeks :yahoo: I have an area upstairs that is currently my desk for study - I don't like the desk so want rid and am trying to work out what I'd like to do. I have a space that has probably 1.3 metres on one wall going up to some shelves and then the other way (in an L) there is a longer stretch - maybe 2 metres but then goes under a window so in theory could be very long!

What would you do if you could design a craft table? I'd like to be able to easily store and use my sewing machine an overlocker (preferably at the same time I guess), room for cutting too. My clever DH can build tables so I don't have any real limitations that way either!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Craft table - what would you do?

Postby ems101 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:23 pm

No flipping idea!! Sound rubikscube-esq to me ;) how very exciting to be turing the study into a craft room though, we will need before and after pics...

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:11 pm

If I could have any craft table I wanted I would have a long trestle type table with sockets sunk into the centre and lots of cupboard/shelves around the outside of the room. I would love to just have a clear space to work on and not to have to trail extension leads all over the place to plug stuff in.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:14 pm

We need pics :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:35 am

I'd love an in the middle of the room style one but only have a corner as DH and I share the mezzanine as our office space. Love the idea of lots of built-in plug sockets though!

I had a bit of a look on line for some ideas and came across setting the sewing machine into the table. anyone got any thoughts on that?

I'll be sure to do some pictures :) am not home atm, am at the hairdressers!

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:07 pm

clothmama wrote:I had a bit of a look on line for some ideas and came across setting the sewing machine into the table. anyone got any thoughts on that?

That's essentially what a Horn cabinet does, it has hydraulic lift so you can alter the height of the machine to be flush with the table height. I've never used one but I guess it would be good to keep the fabric flat rather that it being raised up as it approaches the sewing machine. I assume you would need to lift it up if you are doing stuff like hemming trouser legs with the free arm

Return to DIY and share your projects!