hf1

Any ideas?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Any ideas?

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat May 17, 2014 12:29 pm

I've decided what to use my shiny sort of sports type fabric for. I got some by mistake from Spoonflower. Its the type you'd make a running shirt out of, like dryfit stuff but without the dry fit!

Anyway I've decided to make some sun hats for RIley and her friend for her birthday. @docmaggoo you gave me the idea with the hat you made for James.

Anyway the head bit will be ok, but the rim would be mega floppy and I'd like it to have a bit more strength. But the hats will probably end up in the pool so I can't put basting stuff in. Or can I?

Any ideas?

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Any ideas?

Postby Bernadette » Sun May 18, 2014 12:03 am

Hi Amanda @gilbertandmartha just found this if any help

http://www.madebymarzipan.com/?tutorial=surf-n-turf-sunhat

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sun May 18, 2014 12:07 am

Thanks @Bernadette I'm just wondering how the interfacing would go in the pool? What do you think? I suppose things with interfacing do get washed and they are ok.

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Sun May 18, 2014 12:20 am

As you would know, we wear hats in the pool all the time. Not allowed in mum's pool without one and they are just normal wide brim hats. They all dry okay, they are not perfect but have a very hard life!

I would have thought it would be okay. Good luck with sewing with stretchy lyrca material. I made Fin a superhero cape for Book Week and it was horrendous to make as it kept moving...

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sun May 18, 2014 6:09 am

Could you use something like plastic needlepoint canvas or a really thin foam placemat as interfacing?

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sun May 18, 2014 6:28 am

Could you add some PUL/ or ripstop fabric as interfacing??

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun May 18, 2014 10:20 am

I think even normal would be fine (not sure it would be stiff enough though? Thin foam would be cool and it would float if it fell off :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sun May 18, 2014 11:10 am

I've got some thicker interfacing that I've used for bags and stuff, and I think I've got enough to make two and should have extra over, so I'll do some experimenting first I think.

Return to DIY and share your projects!