hf1

Making me a dress

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Making me a dress

Postby Bernadette » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:48 am

Well I have finally taken the plunge and bought myself a pattern for ME! I have decided that I can sew little girl dresses really well, so why not make one for myself.

Have been here for two summers now, and have not seen any nice dresses in the shops so it has been shorts and tee's which is not impressing my hubby as he likes dresses and skirts. I am married to a tomboy he said yesterday!

So this is the one I bought. Will need to so some adjusting as I don't shirr so will need casings on the back but other than that all should be good and I can make it shorter than shop bought dresses for me who is not very tall!

http://www.createkidscouture.com/lexies_womens.html

My local fabric shop has some fabric on clearance for $2/metre as it has run slightly on the top of the bolt, so thought that would be great for my first attempt and it is red and white polka dots!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Making me a dress

Postby confusinglady » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:54 am

It looks lovely :thumbsup:

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:15 am

I have a fool proof way of doing shirring I'll have a look for a tutorial for you. It really is easy!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:46 am

Ooh lovely!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:01 am

How did you go @Bernadette did you make it?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:05 am

Looks lovely!

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Tory @clothmama not yet, but have the fabric sitting on the table! Mum bought me another pattern from Spotlight the other day as they have 3 for $10 on Simplicity patterns so she picked out two and said I could get the third!

@emmavmorgan I don't mind shirring, but find it hard to hand wind the elastic at the right tension onto the bobbin.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:09 pm

This doesn't use the elastic on a bobbin that's why it's so easy. I can't find the tutorial but I will try and explain.
If you have a presser foot with a little sticky out bit at the back like this Image
You can do it. Set you machine to stitch 8
Thread you machine as per normal with cotton on the bobbin and the needle. Cut a length of shirring elastic double the length of the fabric you are using, find the middle and loop it around the sticky out bit on the foot. Run the elastic under the foot, hold the elastic but don't put any tension on it and run the machine as normal. The stitch should not sew through the elastic but trap both pieces of elastic so you get a double row of shirring. Add as many rows as needed then pull all the elastic through to tension it at the end. It's really worth fiddling with until you get it right as it's so simple when you get it. I got the method from a sewing book and I can't for the life of me remember which one, I will attempt to find it again this weekend.

My avatar
InkMinx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby InkMinx » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:39 pm

Oooh good luck with it and show us pic's. I have just done the same thing, after having made shirts for my other half and the boys I bought a dress pattern for me yesterday
http://sewladidavintage.com/index.php/gypsy-dress
Last edited by clothmama on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pic :)

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!