Help - Fishsticks Laptee trouble!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Help - Fishsticks Laptee trouble!

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:06 am

:help: I'm really really struggling with it I have been at it all day, first I missed a bit overlocking but didn't notice and had already top-stitched the neck so had to unpick it all :x Now I can't work out pinning it together - I have joined the dots but it seems to not all sit right and the neck hole seems small so I'm too scared to sew it - in the pictures she makes it look so easy :badputer: :sewing: :x

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Help - Fishsticks Laptee trouble!

Postby sim » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:55 am

I've not made this. Can you compare it to something baby you've got - maybe the neck hole just looks small in comparison to everyone else's clothes??

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:09 am

sim wrote:I've not made this. Can you compare it to something baby you've got - maybe the neck hole just looks small in comparison to everyone else's clothes??

Thanks Sim, I think it is OK now size wise, and you are right I think it just looked insanely small compared to one child in size 10 and the other in 16 :shock: I think half my trouble is that I'm not convinced my overlocker is all it should be so I'm fighting with a new pattern and then fighting with the overlocker as well :x I'm wondering if for the little trousers if I shouldn't just do it on the sewing machine, I managed the Jamie Jumper fine with that :sewing: I just so want to be friends with my overlocker but I'm not happy with the results I'm getting. My tension must be wrong too as you can kind of see the stitches :x but I'm too scared to touch it at all to try to fix it!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:54 am

Not quite right is it!?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:59 am

Get some scrap and play about with tension til you are happy do you have a close up of stitching x

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:47 pm

DO a close up of your stitches. The other option is to put different colours in your upper and lower looper so you can see which one is wonky.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:42 pm

The overlocker is not far off has it got a. The right type of needles for the fabric you are sewing? b. Nice new needles? I find it really makes a difference to my machine how it works and that I have to change the needles much more often than my sewing machine.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:02 am

emmavmorgan wrote:The overlocker is not far off has it got a. The right type of needles for the fabric you are sewing? b. Nice new needles? I find it really makes a difference to my machine how it works and that I have to change the needles much more often than my sewing machine.

This. Overlockers tend to come with needles for woven fabrics. Change over to knit needles and it should make the world of difference.

The other thing I tend to do is have a few scrap bits of fabric that I play with. Overlock them, change the tension, go again. Make notes on the fabric of the settings you use. That way you have a kinda handy-dandy reference for similar types of fabric, so you can compare your project to those and get an idea of what settings you need.

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:18 am

@clothmama did you figure this out?

I have not yet mastered knit fabrics……

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!