Christmas market ideas?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Christmas market ideas?

Postby clothmama » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:39 am

I'm hoping to do a Christmas market this year and I know I've not got a lot of time left to get stuff done so I'm looking for some inspiration please! Things that can be sewn or crocheted up quickly and look nice. Preferably things that don't use too much material either as the French tax system for small businesses means you can’t claim any of your costs, you get taxed on what you make regardless of how much of it is actual profit! So if I make something that has cost me 5 euros in materials and I sell for 10€ they take their 25% (ish) on the 10€ so I would only make 2.50€ :roll: So I'm thinking small things are the way to go until I see if it all works well :giggle: !

Things I've thought of so far are Christmas decorations (sewn and crocheted), hand warmers and heat packs, hair bows, gardening aprons, baby dresses / clothes, wreaths (still have some vine left and am thinking I could perhaps source some more from somewhere), crochet hats, bunting.

Any other ideas?

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Christmas market ideas?

Postby ems101 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:46 am

Stockings? Xmas tablecloth and napkins, little Xmas tree decs, tiny pocket things to hang on the tree for tiny presents, gift bags, reusable shopping bags

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:17 am

Here I am again :panic: but really really need to do it this year!!!!!

Any other ideas gratefully received! I bought some Christmas material yesterday and looked through my 1/2 yard Christmas book but wasn't very inspired!

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:41 am

Ok things that sell well for us Tilda small Christmas decorations we have, skates, boots, apples and seahorses. The Tilda angels sell well but aren't particularly quick to make but they are a high value item. Needlebooks, pin cushions, clasp purses (the clasps have to be ordered from Ali express or eBay).
Yarn things we have scarves, wrist warmers, washcloths (although they don't sell very often :-? It could be were we have them not the item) knitted baubles, knitted stockings (small decorations and large) knitted bird decorations. Hmmmmm feel free to look at our photo albums on Facebook (bejta artisan @ the ta nikol gallery) if there is anything you like I can find out where the patterns etc are from.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:55 am

Sets of festive cloth table napkins?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:14 am

OK so this year I AM going to do it :hohoho: I'm also the market organiser so that is helping giving me a push!

So this is what is on my list so far (trying to find stuff that isn't going to take too long!)
  • Bagged walnuts (with cute ribbon)
  • Walnut christmas biscuits
  • Home made vanilla extract (need to source cute bottles)
  • Crochet decorations
  • Hand warmers / hot packs (research is saying corn holds the heat the longest)
  • crochet / knitting notions (stitch markers, if I have time hook holders)
  • hats / scarfs
  • cushions made from the gorgeous old (c1865) hemp linen I have big sheets of
  • need to make some decisions (being sooooo indecisive!) about sewn items and start cutting and :sewing: - I'm thinking little simple girls dresses may be most profitable as kids clothes are expensive here!)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:36 am

Emma I have replied in this thread as I look back at this each year - even though this is the first year I'm really going to do it :doh: :hohoho:
emmavmorgan wrote:@clothmama just a couple of ideas for you for some small items (anything around 3/4€ are our best sellers) little hand warmers with lavender in, cable/headphone tidies (I saw some really cute cat ones on Pinterest) Christmas tree bunting and one of our knit and natter ladies makes crocheted rings with a little silk rose stitched on (the sort you buy from the haberdashery) and we knock those out to little girls (and Japanese tourists :hohoho: ) for €2 a pop.

Thanks heaps for that feedback Emma, I've been trying to read up on it too and already thought about the hand warmers and depending on the weather (last year was -7c in the morning :shock: :shock: ) I thought I could take the little microwave I have in storage and offer them to be warmed :hohoho: :happysanta: :snowball: :happysanta: I had seen the cute little cable tidies but not tried making them yet - presumably super quick if I cut a load of them out! and good for grandparents who dont' know what to buy their teenagers! Will add them to my list - need to just cut out a whole load of stuff and then sit and sew for a couple of days! With the handwarmers I read 5" squares - do you do that? I also read to use whole corn (animal stuff not popping :giggle: ) as it holds the heat better than rice etc. Would I just add a teaspoon or something of lavender to that? Thanks so much will add to my list! anything else you think of please feel free to tell me @emmavmorgan

• Bagged walnuts (with cute ribbon) (source and order bags)
  • Walnut christmas biscuits (source and order bags)
  • Home made vanilla extract (need to source cute bottles)
  • Crochet decorations[*
  • Hand warmers / hot packs (research is saying corn holds the heat the longest)
  • Ear bud / cable tidies
  • crochet / knitting notions (stitch markers, if I have time hook holders)
  • hats / scarfs
  • cushions made from the gorgeous old (c1865) hemp linen I have big sheets of
  • Grapevine wreaths (source stuff to decorate them with)
I've taken dresses off the list - I only have 6 weeks left :loopy: :panic:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:13 am

How about Noel bunting, much shorter than Christmas!

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:20 pm

@clothmama fabric covered notebooks.

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!