hf1

Christmas market ideas?

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Christmas market ideas?

Postby emmavmorgan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:22 pm

@clothmama our wreaths are all packed in the crates ready for Sunday but they aren’t traditional at all :giggle: borgavilla, Victorian cherubs, Cisk (our local beer), sea theme, oranges and lemons and urmmm another I can’t remember :giggle:
I wouldn’t take the cookies over €5.50, start at that price and if you notice people looking and not buying reduce them to €5. Anything with food make sure you labelling us spot on, obviously contains nut, gluten etc etc you don’t want any nasty comebacks!
Pricing is very subjective but the main thing is you have to be confident with it, try not to think how much it cost you to make but how much you would pay for it.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:57 pm

emmavmorgan wrote:Pricing is very subjective but the main thing is you have to be confident with it, try not to think how much it cost you to make but how much you would pay for it.

:loopy: :loopy: :loopy: :loopy: It is really funny here as they spend serious money on sweet stuff at Christmas time and there really is a huge markup for home made stuff. I need to double check it bit I saw a much smaller (ugly) jar in the supermarket and it was €5.99 I think. Just looked at ready made cookies just crappy supermarket one and they are all around and over €10/kg and the mix gives about 1kg of biscuits. So i'm kind of thinking as long as it is under €10 people would buy (based on how much they spend on food!). J suggested that I do a 1/2 mix (so 12 cookie mix) as well if i can source the jars quickly enough. Don't know what to do as don't want to underprice it or overprice it this is all so complicated! :loopy: :loopy: :loopy:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:13 pm

clothmama wrote:
emmavmorgan wrote:Pricing is very subjective but the main thing is you have to be confident with it, try not to think how much it cost you to make but how much you would pay for it.

:loopy: :loopy: :loopy: :loopy: It is really funny here as they spend serious money on sweet stuff at Christmas time and there really is a huge markup for home made stuff. I need to double check it bit I saw a much smaller (ugly) jar in the supermarket and it was €5.99 I think. Just looked at ready made cookies just crappy supermarket one and they are all around and over €10/kg and the mix gives about 1kg of biscuits. So i'm kind of thinking as long as it is under €10 people would buy (based on how much they spend on food!). J suggested that I do a 1/2 mix (so 12 cookie mix) as well if i can source the jars quickly enough. Don't know what to do as don't want to underprice it or overprice it this is all so complicated! :loopy: :loopy: :loopy:

I'm sure I saw someone selling something similar here for £10 the other day :shock: I think for my limited experiences in French supermarkets that you could certainly charge more towards 10Euros for a jar. If you have time, you could make a batch of mini ones up and have them there as enticing testers!

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:33 am

It’s different here as locally produced food is really cheap as people would rather sell it here than ship it to mainland Europe. 500ml of local pure honey from the man at the end of our st is only €20 :shock:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:20 am

autumnalgirl wrote:I'm sure I saw someone selling something similar here for £10 the other day :shock: I think for my limited experiences in French supermarkets that you could certainly charge more towards 10Euros for a jar. If you have time, you could make a batch of mini ones up and have them there as enticing testers!

Interesting you spotted one at that price - J was looking on ebay and all the mixes in the UK (even commercial ones) were pretty expensive too. And yes you are right food is expensive here - even in the supermarkets - I have to do 90% of my shopping at Lidl and just go for stuff I cna't get there to the other one (like fresh milk :doh: ). I also rarely go to the lovely markets anymore as that is really expensive!!!! @autumnalgirl
emmavmorgan wrote:It’s different here as locally produced food is really cheap as people would rather sell it here than ship it to mainland Europe. 500ml of local pure honey from the man at the end of our st is only €20 :shock:

Ahhhh yeah see not the case here at all! Particularly our region is seen as a really foody area and famous for our strawberries, walnuts, truffles etc and anything handmade goes for a bomb. Is that cheap for honey? I'm sure here it is less than that even for local stuff! @emmavmorgan

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:49 am

@clothmama for pure honey it’s cheap, when I say pure I mean it’s not even filtered and it comes in old Nescafé jars :hohoho:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:09 am

emmavmorgan wrote:@clothmama for pure honey it’s cheap, when I say pure I mean it’s not even filtered and it comes in old Nescafé jars :hohoho:

:hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: brilliant - with bits of honeycomb floating in it?? I think a 1kg pot here of local stuff (filtered) is about €20 @emmavmorgan

Back to my sewing room I go :whip: am gutted not sure if you remember my aprons I made a few years ago - I bought a lovely pattern with about 5 styles and I've lost it :doh: :doh: so trying to find one I like that is cute but easy and quick on line and just keep getting overwhelmed! I just want my pattern back :evil:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:13 am

Silver and white balls (this took so long to tie them all on - over an hours work I'd say).

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:54 am

I'm loving all the wreathes you are making! We thought even Lidl was expensive in France last time we went! We just shop carefully so we can buy all the extra holiday treats :giggle: !

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!