Natural dyes?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Natural dyes?

Postby clothmama » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:30 pm

I'm wanting a natural looking purple for my medieval outfit (not that I have bought the fabric yet and I don't think I have enough from the linen skirts etc I bought to cut up) and have just been researching and it doesn't seem there are many natural dyes that will keep that are in season and purple! Any other ideas of how to not get a 'perfect' Dylon dye look even if it isn't a natural dye or commercial natural dyes that anyone knows of?

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Natural dyes?

Postby emmavmorgan » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:42 pm

What do you mean by natural look? Do you mean a lighter shade/washed out or do you mean a textured finish? Or do you mean lots of different shades of purples? There are lots of ways of doing it with standard Dylon :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:41 pm

emmavmorgan wrote:What do you mean by natural look? Do you mean a lighter shade/washed out or do you mean a textured finish? Or do you mean lots of different shades of purples? There are lots of ways of doing it with standard Dylon :)

I want it to look like I dyed it in medieval times! I thought I'd be able to do it with something I have but I dont' have the right flowers or berries or anything to give me a nice purple colour that won't run straight out!

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:58 pm

I would use a dylon (cold water dye) on a woven fabric with a slub but I would only use 1/3rd of a packet (full salt) and see how it looks then if need be do a 2nd dye with another 1/3rd (full packet will give too strong a colour) actually are we talking pesant or noble?? Noble I would just use purple taffeta and be done with it :hohoho:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:07 am

There is a natural purple , will look what its called at a reasonable hour :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:40 am

emmavmorgan wrote:I would use a dylon (cold water dye) on a woven fabric with a slub but I would only use 1/3rd of a packet (full salt) and see how it looks then if need be do a 2nd dye with another 1/3rd (full packet will give too strong a colour) actually are we talking pesant or noble?? Noble I would just use purple taffeta and be done with it :hohoho:

That is a really good idea, I don't really have the time to brew up some whatever weed :giggle:

That is a nice purple Sara!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Let me know if you want me to send some, I used different colours on this one but the bottom part is just purple x

Return to DIY and share your projects!