hf1

Chalk paint drawers! Almost done pics pg 4

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Chalk paint drawers!

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:38 pm

I also can't see the pics as the signal is rubbish tonight!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:38 pm

But I'm sure its looking good!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:55 pm

autumnalgirl wrote:But I'm sure its looking good!

:giggle: :giggle:

autumnalgirl wrote:I'm no help, because DH hates the effect and the way he wears. He now paints furniture with (I think) water based gloss.

Eek I hope I dont' go to all this effort and then hate it!

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:22 pm

clothmama wrote:
Allie wrote:@clothmama, generally I do two but sometimes three is needed. If I were you I'd mentally prepare myself for a third coat just in case :giggle:

Looking good after the first coat though

Cool! I just touched it now it is touch dry and it is quite rough - i'm guessing because of the hairy roller. What do you normally use @Allie? Do you think a sponge one would be better?

I generally use a brush but occasionally a sponge roller @clothmama

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:42 pm

I've used that paint from Action, different color though, I have it on my wall and will never use it again tbh. Didn't try it on wood, was shocked about the result on my wall :giggle: :giggle: I do have grey wash from Action though and that seems to be good, still waiting to get used poor paint :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:23 am

Just did the second coat and it still doesn't look at all how I wanted it to. :cry: :cry: I wanted the lovely thick, matt, creamy look, I wasn't even going to distress it. Sadly I think the so called 'chalk paint' is actually more of a lime wash product. This is what it says on the tin:

Aesthetic: shadow result will be visable after drying.

The result is a decorative, retro style, slightly textured lime look.

Honestly my home made chalk paint gave me a much better effect and more what I wanted :cry: :cry: If I'd wanted a really distressed look I'd probably be quite pleased as I wouldn't have to do much to get it just so! I think too I need to wait for it to dry!

Ah well, at least it isn't nasty stain anymore. I'm guessing it will be ok to repaint over so I'm just going to go with it for the moment and make some myself and repaint it later.

Just tried to find some reviews - sadly none in English and I can't read Dutch! @MissFrodo maybe you can read some for me :giggle: :giggle: I'm really surprised that it says you cna use it on walls, I've never read of anyone doing that and can imagine it would not be a good result!!! I did find this review in French, you can see from her photos that it doesn't give the creamy coverage (that then enables you to distress as wanted) that other brands / home made even does!
http://www.10mainstreet.fr/2018/02/21/c ... ilisation/

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:40 am

Just reading more on that (lovely) blog and she has successfully used it as an under coat to save having to sand like mad before painting - all may not be lost :giggle:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:52 am

When DH comes back, I'll ask him what he used as I think thats probably more the effect you want. I can take some pics too.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:24 am

autumnalgirl wrote:When DH comes back, I'll ask him what he used as I think thats probably more the effect you want. I can take some pics too.

That would be awesome - thanks @autumnalgirl . So was it lovely and matt?

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!