Chalk paint drawers! Almost done pics pg 4

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Chalk paint drawers! Almost done pics pg 4

Postby clothmama » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:33 am

I picked up some cute little drawers and thier matching big brother the other day and I'm going to chalk paint them. The chalk paint I have is Old white, I was going to do them grey but there was only moss green when I went to Action to pick up more. I'm going to do the first coat and see how I feel, if I really want to go grey I've got some paint tint stuff so I can try to mix that!
Before shot:
I'll get a pic of the other one when I bring it down from the barn :D

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Chalk paint drawers!

Postby Allie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:37 am

Can't wait to see them finished @clothmama

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:35 am

heeeeeeeelp @Allie the first coat is looking terrible - really see through a bit blotchy - is that normal first coat????? Please tell me I'm not making a disaster!

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:36 am

clothmama wrote:heeeeeeeelp @Allie the first coat is looking terrible - really see through a bit blotchy - is that normal first coat????? Please tell me I'm not making a disaster!

Yes @clothmama don't worry. Second coat should fix it!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Thank you! So I carried on and even as it dries it is looking better so yes hoping 2nd coat will be awesome! Just gave me such a shock as I'd only read such rave reviews of chalk paint whether spenny Annie Sloan stuff or home made but it looked AWFUL I nearly cried. Mine is bought this time - I have made it once in the past for 2 small projects (photo frame and knife block) - from Action and it is the first time I've used thier paint and it was an awesome price (€5 for 750ml) but of course first thought was 'OMG this paint is wrong' :giggle: and 'it is a big conspiracy and even though everyone says no sanding etc required it is a lie!!' :giggle:

I used a brush around the details / legs / tricky bits then a roller (with short hairs) for the rest as I'd read on blogs brush and roller is a good combo. I'm now wondering is this indeed the best result and if I should be doing the same for the next coat? Should I brush it all? Should I be using a roller that is foam rather than hairy (technical term I'm sure :hohoho: )?

Is 2 coats going to be enough or do I need to get my head around maybe doing 3??

How long do I have to wait until I wax?

@Allie and anyone else who has done chalk paint stuff @confusinglady ? @autumnalgirl ? @Louise ? @MissFrodo have used Action paints at all?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:47 pm

1st coat almost touch dry:

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:24 pm

@clothmama, generally I do two but sometimes three is needed. If I were you I'd mentally prepare myself for a third coat just in case :giggle:

Looking good after the first coat though

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:03 pm

Allie wrote:@clothmama, generally I do two but sometimes three is needed. If I were you I'd mentally prepare myself for a third coat just in case :giggle:

Looking good after the first coat though

Cool! I just touched it now it is touch dry and it is quite rough - i'm guessing because of the hairy roller. What do you normally use @Allie? Do you think a sponge one would be better?

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm no help, because DH hates the effect and the way he wears. He now paints furniture with (I think) water based gloss.

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!