Dinosaur theme party.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Dinosaur theme party.

Postby clothmama » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:28 pm

So we are going with a dino party for Rémy's 5th birthday next week! Talking about leaving it to the last minute - I'll have to get the invites out on Monday.

If anyone has any good ideas for games / diy decorations / dino food I'd love to hear! Not thought of any games yet - I would like to do traditional pass the parcel, not sure they do 'party games' as we know them here so i think it will go down well! Been so long since I did a party can't remember what else we do!

So far I have for activities:
- colouring in corner - already printed
- There is at least two dinosaur games at the room I'm hiring so can have a games table too

Food (if I have time I'll do cute little signs to say what stuff is):
- Dinosaur birthday cake
- 'Fossil' biscuits (biscuits with footprints in them)
-'herbivore' food - some little cups of some sort with dip and carrot sticks

Decorations:
- A 'fossil' happy birthday banner (well joyeuse anniversaire!!) with a printed head and then each sheet of the letters looks like a vertebrae
- Probably some plants with lurking plastic dinosaurs hanging about in them as well as on the tables etc!
- hession table runner / earthy colours

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Re: Dinosaur theme party.

Postby girlinleeds » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Simple but pin the tail on the dinosaur??

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:26 pm

girlinleeds wrote:Simple but pin the tail on the dinosaur??

Exactly what I was thinking!

Pinata in the shape of a dinosaur if you have time.
Sleeping dinosaurs
Hunt the dinosaurs (small paper ones or little toy ones)
Musical dinosaurs (like musical chairs, but cut out/laminate dinosaur pictures, they sit on them and take one away each time)
Decorate dinosaur biscuits
Make dinosaur masks
Build a dinosaur with bone shapes

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:50 pm

Shame I’m not closer I would have come and done it for you!
A really quick decoration would be a Jurassic jungle, basically run string from side to side in the room above head height and fasten strips of crepe or tissue paper down (fix it on with a stapler) then make some leave shapes out of green card and staple them them to the tissue strips (you don’t need one for every strip just a few for each line). For birthday parties we always make themed crowns. We have made 2 types Dino crowns that I can remember both had a simple 6ish cm bad of coloured card then one had dinosaurs that were pre cut out (Of white card) that the kids decorated and pre cut volcanos that were stapled on (always make sure the back of the staple is facing away from skin as it scratches when they take their crown on and off!) the other had Dino spines/tail type affair stapled to it both ideas will be on Pinterest somewhere!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:18 pm

Wow wow I knew you guys were awesome! Some amazing ideas there - thank you, I'll have another read and ask questions tomorrow!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:49 pm

Evening :wave:

Love a good party! My tip would be to keep as simple as you can. I ve spent hours looking at lovely themed party food but tbh kids don't really notice as long as they eat! Simple sandwiches, beg sticks and crisps. I bake a birthday cake but due to allergies I've ended up not doing cakes or biscuits but made stripy jelly in plastic cups for pudding and then offer fruit and squirty cream on top if they want. That is easy to prepare and simple.

For games again I like to keep it simple ;)
I gave up on pass the parcel a few years ago and now do the opposite. Pass the cuddly toy (would do whatever the theme is so for this a dinosaur) the person holding the Dino when the music stops is out. The person left holding the Dino at the end wins ( or the last two people). For parties I try to have lots of small prizes like a sweet or pencil/ rubber and let lots of kids win something small.

Follow my leader I find is a good one to get them all to line up and copy the person in front in a big long congo iykwim. Then get them to hold hands and make a circle to play the next game.
Musical bumps and statues is always fun.

Colouring and making area always good for those who are out or don't like games.

All sounds good fun :D

Return to DIY and share your projects!