ideas for my plain nappies

My avatar
Zara
Clothie
Clothie

ideas for my plain nappies

Postby Zara » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi there
This is my first post - I have become a bit addicted to this site (I blame my sister in law Jan :idea: ) and I haven't even had my first yet (37 weeks so nearly there).
I mainly have MEOS in my collection with TB wraps, a ME Rikkki wrap and a WN wrap on order. Jan has very nicely given me a lovely pocket nappy that she made, 2 Mommy's Touch AIO and a wonderoos pocket. The Mommy's touch and the wonderoos ones are plain pale pink or blue which is a little bit dull and so I am wondering what I can do to make them more fun. I've thought of two options and wanted to see if anyone has any comments or other ideas for me.
1) I could use some dylon pens and a stencil (I'm not creative enough for free hand), but it says I need to iron the material after to seal the pattern which I assume would ruin the polyester outer?
2) I could use dye and tie dye them but the one that I've found that dyes poly ( http://www.fibrecrafts.com/ProductGroup ... FromPage=2 ) needs to be boiled which again I assume would ruin the fabric?

Any help much appreciated!
Zara

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: ideas for my plain nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:00 pm

:idea: :idea:
hi zara, nice to see you've stopped lurking and joined properly :hohoho:

:idea: :idea:

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Welcome and

For your pockets - try taking a look at what Claire has done
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=13482

are you looking at dying your MEOS? Are they the cotton ones?

My avatar
Zara
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Zara » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi Rae, I love what Claire has done and could send my nappies to her but fancied being a little creative myself. Maybe I'll have to ask her what she uses on the polyester wraps... Not thinking of dyeing the shaped nappy (MEOS) as I figured these would be covered by the wraps but have I got the wrong end of the stick?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:49 pm

Zara wrote:Hi Rae, I love what Claire has done and could send my nappies to her but fancied being a little creative myself. Maybe I'll have to ask her what she uses on the polyester wraps... Not thinking of dyeing the shaped nappy (MEOS) as I figured these would be covered by the wraps but have I got the wrong end of the stick?

No your right, they will be covered!

And I think you can use dylon paints on polyester wraps, Claire will know more!

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:17 pm

My ears are burning.....lol

Hello and welcome.

I have use the dylon paints on cotton bottoms wraps. They are poly and they work well.
You may find it hard to stencil. Just watch out for the paint bleading. Free hand is much easier as you can allow for the bleading.

You will have to post pics of what you do.
Welcome to a new addiction.....lol :babyroll:

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:04 am

Zara wrote:Hi Rae, I love what Claire has done and could send my nappies to her but fancied being a little creative myself. Maybe I'll have to ask her what she uses on the polyester wraps... Not thinking of dyeing the shaped nappy (MEOS) as I figured these would be covered by the wraps but have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Yes the MEOS will be covered, but it can be fun to have a colour underneath a wrap.

My avatar
Zara
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Zara » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi Claire
Thanks for the tips, I'll start with the smallest bits on the stencil in case it does bleed.... I suppose if all else fails I'll have to send them to you for a cover up like they do with tatoos :lol:

Rae - Yes the MEOS would look nice all colourful underneath the wraps but I think I should wait a little while until I get to that level of addiction... maybe next year or next baby! :babyboy:

I'll post photos when all done

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:06 pm

As my SIL you do realise that you'll have my plain boring ones to liven up as well dont you so you'll be quite busy :hohoho: :hohoho:

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!