hf1

what do you need to make a nappy ?

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

what do you need to make a nappy ?

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:49 pm

i would like to atmept to make anappy maybe :lol: i would ideally liek to trace a tots bots and eitehr put velcro on or nippa so have a few questions if any1 could help

what kind of fabric do u need

can you put a fleece on the inside

can you make them with a pocket to put boosters in

can you make it with a water proof liner hidden inside

where do you get the fabric from

is it expensive

and how many layers does it need to be for a day nappy

thanks sorry for all teh questions but when ever i start looking on the internet i get even more confuzzled :giggle:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: what do you need to make a nappy ?

Postby flutterby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Fabric can be anything aborbent, a towel is a good place to start for practice!

If you want fleece on the inside go for it,

If you can make a pocket then you can do it

If you put a hidden waterproof layer you will need something that doesn't wick to go ontop, either poly, minkee, fleece etc

Google is your fwend when trying to find fabrics!

can be very cheap,

2 or 3 layers is the norm with an additional booster

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:12 pm

so it would be better if i didn't mak eit with a water proof bit inside then ? if i used say cotton on the out side what do i use as the inside bit and do you buy proper absorbent bits and so it or what or can you use say a terry sqaure and cut the sqaure into i dunno say 3 then sew them all together iyswim

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:17 pm

if you have a look at babeco.co.uk they do lots of nappy fabrics. 3 layers of cotton towelling wouldn't make for a very absorbant nappy, especially if you were making it as an all in one with the waterproof hidden in the nappy.

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:24 pm

hmm right ok thanks what would you personally use i would liek it to not need a wrap cos imo defeats the object of havin a really preety nappy to cover it up

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:29 pm

also how do you put elastic in wondering if i might struggle tbh :giggle:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:42 pm

If you look at your favourite nappies, then you choose what is more important to you, drying time, absorbancy etc etc.

Sounds like you might be thinking more along the lines of making a pocket nappy or all in one, rather than a 2 parter which you would need to cover up .

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:53 pm

ummm i would liek it to be the shape of a tots bots but slightly higher in teh rise fleece on the inside and summit pretty on teh outside could i stich teh pul to the outside bit b4 i cut it any ideas on what i should use tho could i have a cotton out its more the absorbent part which has got me stuck lol oh and doing teh elastic i think i will get stuck on

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:59 pm

oh actually it doesn't matter if it hasn't got fleece as i have some cotton fabric in teh attic i could use so basically need ideas please so i can start one tonight :giggle: minus the pul if it coem out sort of ok i will then make anothe roen with pul so if i use cotton for the out side what else do i need would it be possible to make one without elastic? could i use a terry sqaure as the absorbent part?

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!