hf1

What can you use for making 2 sided washable wipes?

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

What can you use for making 2 sided washable wipes?

Postby JennyPenny » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:25 am

Hello, I am mainly going to make some just to get me used to using a sewing machine as at the moment, I couldn't even tell you how to switch it on :oops: Thought wipes would be easy enough and doesn't really matter if they look odd or whatever.

I want to just use materials from around the house, stuff that is old/cheap etc. I would like one side good for getting sticky poo off and the other side nice and soft as Elouise gets a very sore bum so the terry ones we have can be a bit harsh sometimes.

I know I can use fleece and terry. But what else can I use?

I have:
Loads of old prefolds, some are very old and falling apart. Too thick how they are but wondered if there is any way of using them?
Old towels?
Microfibre cloths?
Old cotton t-shirts and hubby has loads of pairs of boxers that are getting tatty and will otherwise go in the bin - wondered if these would be too thin?

The more things I can use, the more I can make without buying stuff specially. But no point in me trying with things that are never going to work!

If anybody has any advice it would be great, sorry if this has already been done!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: What can you use for making 2 sided washable wipes?

Postby flutterby » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:35 am

You could use anything I think, though things like towels have more grip on poo, but tshirts would be fine for wee!

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:01 pm

Great! That sounds good.

Bit of an odd one - but what about those yellow dusting cloth things? Not the microfibre cloths? I have tonnes of them and don't need them all for cleaning?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Can't see why not!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:42 pm

JennyPenny wrote:Great! That sounds good.

Bit of an odd one - but what about those yellow dusting cloth things? Not the microfibre cloths? I have tonnes of them and don't need them all for cleaning?

I've found that these tend to turn white stuff yellow in the wash :(

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:11 pm

Jasminesmummy wrote:
JennyPenny wrote:Great! That sounds good.

I've found that these tend to turn white stuff yellow in the wash :(

yes i wouldnt risk them

but the boxers, towels fine
not the microfibre cloths though - never tried them - although they are absorbant you wouldnt put them next to babys skin on a nappy cause they are very drying - so i wouldnt risk them as a wipe :-?

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:30 pm

I didn't know you weren't suppost to put them next to babys skin! I have never used them as a booster but I might have done if needed and wouldn't have even thought of that! :oops:

Return to DIY and share your projects!