needles for knitting and i-cord?

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

needles for knitting and i-cord?

Postby 4timeslucky » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi all

I need to knit and i-cord for dd's skirtie as the waistband has loosened with wear and now starts to fall down :giggle:

What size needles do you normally use for and i-cord? the size used for the waistband or the main body (of longies/skirtie etc)?

TIA

Kath

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: needles for knitting and i-cord?

Postby Allie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:35 am

Can't help with the i-chord as I usually crochet one but depending on the weight of yarn used I normally use 4mm needles for dk weight and 5mm for aran weight. It also depends on what your tension is like. I use the same needles for the waistband and the main body.

hth

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:38 am

I don't think it really matters that much what size you use for the i-cord. I use 5mm if I'm doing one, but only really because that's the size dpns I had. I tried one with 5.5mm and that was fine too, but the needles were plastic and I didn't like doing i-cord on them so I stick with the 5mm purely for that reason.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:09 am

I now use a knitting nancy/french knitting thingy to do i-cords, much more fun that knitting them on DPNs :wink: :giggle:

jan x

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks

I started it using dpns the same size as the waistband, but they are really flimsy feeling plastic, wish I'd used the 5mm ones - they are still plastic but firmer, although very long. All my metal dpns are really thin.

JanX wrote:I now use a knitting nancy/french knitting thingy to do i-cords, much more fun that knitting them on DPNs :wink: :giggle:

jan x

Is that like a cotton reel with 4 or so pins on top? I remember those as a kid but cant remember how you use it.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri May 01, 2009 8:45 pm

i just use 4.5mm or 5mm needles, it doesn't matter too much really. a twisted cord is really quick and easy though!

Gayle xx

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Fri May 01, 2009 8:53 pm

4timeslucky wrote:Thanks

I started it using dpns the same size as the waistband, but they are really flimsy feeling plastic, wish I'd used the 5mm ones - they are still plastic but firmer, although very long. All my metal dpns are really thin.

JanX wrote:I now use a knitting nancy/french knitting thingy to do i-cords, much more fun that knitting them on DPNs :wink: :giggle:

jan x

Is that like a cotton reel with 4 or so pins on top? I remember those as a kid but cant remember how you use it.

I replied to this last night and now it has gone :-? :-?

basically , yes.. you can buy knitting dollies from hobbycraft, online, dunelm mill and other places!

and look here for how to do it:

http://www.how-to-knit-guide.com/french-knitting.html

jan x

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Fri May 01, 2009 11:08 pm

Thanks Jan

will give that a go when I get chance ...I'm getting bored and its slow going knitting the i-cord

gayleygoo wrote:i just use 4.5mm or 5mm needles, it doesn't matter too much really. a twisted cord is really quick and easy though!

Gayle xx

how do you make your twisted cord?

Kath

Return to DIY and share your projects!